Sunday, June 24, 2012

Grandma loved a sailor who sailed the frozen sea...

Yesterday, they admitted Grandma Polt to the hospital.  Mom called me to tell me this in the morning, saying she was having a lot of trouble breathing.  Then, right before I got off work, mom called back to say she didnt know what my plans were for that evening, but I might want to just go see grandma when i got off work.

I was expecting the worst, and she wasn't all that great still having to expend a lot of energy to breathe, but she was doing better than I expected. Still, honestly, I don't expect her to recover from this.

She's 88.  So far this year, she's had a minor stroke, pneumonia, a bladder infection, and had to have a pace-maker put in.  And from that operation, she's never fully recovered.  And she's been having trouble catching her breath, especially with it being so hot and humid.  It's air conditioned where she lives but any time she has to leave, it's rough.

She looked so frail and delicate in the bed.  They were giving her oxygen, which helped.  When I got there, no one else was there, so she and I talked a bit, and she seems to have come to the same conclusion I did about recovery.  She was talking about how the problem is her heart, and how she's lived a long good life.  And how she's raised four kids and had them raise 7 grandkids, and how they're raising 5 great-grandkids, and how, on the whole, we've not turned out all that bad.  And she said some of this with tears in her eyes.  It just seemed obvious to me she knows she's not gonna fully recover.

She may improve enough to be discharged, but I don't know how recovered she'd be.  She won't have walked for several days and she was a bit unsteady on her feet to begin with, and she'll be on oxygen, and she may have to go to a home for rehab.

But regardless, it seems pretty clear to me she's nearing the end.  I just hope that for whatever time she has left, she doesn't experience much pain or anguish.

And now, I think I might just go out to see her again. If not today, for sure tomorrow.

POLT

2 comments:

Tam said...

Mojo that she is comfortable and able to enjoy her remaining time. I hope all of her family is able to visit and form good memories.

Michelle M. said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Big hug for you, Grandma Polt and the rest of your family.