Thursday, June 28, 2012

Talking bout a revolution....

Today is the 43rd anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, and thus the Gay Rights Movements.  And it was started by the drag queens, hustlers, homeless gay kids and effeminate men that were even then, on the fringes of gay society (such that it was at the time).    It wasn't the 'respectable' gays that started the whole thing.  So cheers to the rebels!  They're the grandparents of the current gay marriage movement.



I think this weekend, I may watch "The Boys In The Band" and "The Band Played On" just to honor the past and remember where we, as gay people, have come from and how far we've come.  Maybe even "Milk" too, what the hell?



I'm not gonna go into a whole bunch of history here, I've done that in years past, and honestly, if you're interested you can read up on it many places on teh Interwebs.  But tonight, I'll hoist a beer or glass of Asti or wine in honor of those brave, courageous outcasts from 4 decades ago who had HAD it with mistreatment, stood up and said NO MORE, and enabled me, 43 years later, to write this without fear of losing my job, getting arrested, or thrown in a mental institution.



POLT

1 comment:

Tam said...

I'll bet many of those people never dreamed they'd see the right to marry. I know there is still a ways to go in the US, but they gave it a giant push, now the momentum has to keep rolling. I love that last picture although I imagine it feels pretty gross to have that paint on your skin.