Saturday, May 07, 2011

The end of last year, I worked a Monday for a coworker, and she's owed me a Saturday ever since.  I worked the Good Friday holiday my job gives us and I still have to take that day sometime.  So I decided to have her work for me today, and then take the Good Friday holiday this Tuesdays.  That meant that I'd get a four day weekend!  Whoo-Hoo.

I didnt have anything great planned for those days off.  I had mentioned to my friend Michelle about going to DC Saturday.  She said great.  Although, when I tried to call her last night about when we meet up and stuff, she didn't answer.  So I went to bed last night figuring DC was off.  I thought perhaps I could call A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking about seeing Thor Saturday, or maybe just spending my entire Saturday off sitting in front of the tv on the couch vegetating.  Boo hiss.

This morning, before my alarm went off, I got a text.  From Michelle.  Saying there had been a problem with her phone last night and she had 7 messages without the phones even ringing once.  And if I still wanted to go to DC, she was up for it.

As I lay in bed, thinking the whole thing over, I came to several thoughts.  I'm still not over my cold, although now it's just a stuffed head and cough.  And Michelle had a cold as well.  And I frankly wasn't feeling the whole trip to DC. 

But I thought, what about Frederick?  That's only 45 minutes away, and the awesome restaurant aka Friscos is there, and there's the riverwalk, which would be fun to walk along.  So I called Michelle and asked her if she up for that.  And she was!

I got ready and picked her up and we drove to Frederick.  It was a beautiful day.  We got to aka Friscos and had a delicious lunch.  Then we made our way into town where we noticed a LOT of people on the sidewalks, a lot of traffic, and balloons tied up everywhere.  We only later found out it was some celebration they have the first Saturday of every month during the summer.

We walked the streets of Frederick's downtown.  We strolled through a large indoor antique mall.  We took a short stroll along the river walk.  We discovered a comic book store I never knew existed and I purchased a graphic novel within, getting a 25% discount because it was Free Comic Book Day (and the guy was giving discounts to people who actually bought something).  Afterwards, we had ice cream in a state park, and then played a totally spontaneous game of miniature golf.  

All in all, an entirely, splendidly wonderful day.  And it was almost totally unplanned.  Those tend to make the best days, in my experience.

POLT

2 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm glad you're on the mend!

Tam said...

Terrific day out. Glad you guys had fun. Did you get a hole in one? :-)