Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Last year's troubles are so old fashioned...

So, with the passing of the old year into the new, it's time to take a look over the year of 2012 and list the Top Ten Things Of The Year.  Not everything is necessarily a good thing, but they are the things that were the biggest of my year.

10. The Avengers

The. Best. Comic. Book. Movie. EVAH!  Marvel totally nailed exactly what a comic book movie should be.  I know DC's going to try it with the Justice League, but I know they're gonna fuck it up.  I mean, as proof, I submit "Green Lantern".  Nuff said.  But The Avengers exceeded my expectations.  It was so good, I saw it twice in theaters and one on DVD.

9. The Walking Dead

I started out the year watching Season 1 of the show on DVD.  Watched it all over three days the first week of January.  In September I watched Season 2 again over the span of three days.   In October, I read the first compendium (48 issues) in six days.  Later in October I read the second compendium (another 48 issues) in three days.  And then this fall, with Kris, I started watching the episodes as they premiered each week.  I think the comic books are head and shoulders above the TV show, but the show is still entertaining.  It's been a big part of my year.

8. Paul & Travis

In June Paul & Travis came down to attend the DC Gay Pride parade with me (and StratCat and CC and Josh).  And we had so much fun, they came down the end of September for a weekend that included a trip to DC to walk around and see the sights, visit a couple bars, and spend the night.  And that same weekend, they met Kris, spent the night here, and went shopping in the area.  I look forward to hanging out with them again, either here or on Long Island soon!

7. Jayson

On August 3rd, I met Jayson.  On Labor Day I got him on a plane so he could fly back to Colorado.  In the month inbetween those days, I spent a lot of time with him, including the last ten days when he was staying here at my house.  Jayson had some issues and some baggage, and it wasn't always a smooth time with us.  But we had some seriously fun times together.  And I did, and still do, like the kid.  We still talk about once a week, every ten days on the phone.  All in all, it was an over-all very positive experience.

6. Fridge issues

In early July, my fridge kept cutting out on me.  During a heat wave.  There were at least three times over ten days it conked out.  I had the repairmen here like five times, before it finally got totally fixed (but decent guy that he is, he only charged me for the first visit [and parts only on subsequent visits] since he couldn't fix it the first time).  But while it was down, I had to put the perishable stuff (the stuff I hadn't already lost) in a cooler and keep filling it with ice.  And run the frozen stuff up to mom's each time as well.  Funny how much you take a fridge for granted, until you no longer have it.

5. Sewer issues

For the first ten days of the year, I did not have a working bathroom.  I had to shower at mom's, piss in a bucket in the kitchen and then dump it out in the alley, and try to time my poops until when I could make a trip to mom's.  Yeah, that was fun.  Loads of fun.  Also, when it was all said and done, I had an open, dirt-filled trench in my basement where they had to jackhammer through the concrete floor and replace a pipe.  Great.

4. Computer Viruses

In April, I caught some virus on my computer despite using all the anti-viruals Corey had given me last year.  And even after Corey looked it over for a bit, he said he would suggest just reinstalling Windows and starting over.  So I bought an external hard drive, saved what I could, and then, with StatCat's help, reinstalled Windows and got it back up and running.  But I was without a computer for the majority of April (thank GOD I had my iPhone to stay connected).  Then, in September, I got another virus (although I'm pretty sure it's my own stupidity that got me that one) and reinstalled Windows again and started over.  *SIGH*  What pains in the ass those things are.  I'm just glad to have friends like Corey, and StratCat and truthspew (who helped me over the phone with some stuff) that can help when situations like this arise.

3. Health issues

I had some stress issues this year, but not as bad as last year.  But the main issues were with my diabetes.  In March my AIC was over 9.  The doctor put me on a diet and exercise regime and in June I had it down to 7.2  I kinda fell off the diet/exercise thing and in September it was at 7.4.  I still haven't gotten back on the diet/exercise thing like I should have, but in the next two weeks I'm gonna have bloodwork and we'll see how I did.  But that March-June period showed me what I have to do.  I did it once, I can do it again.

2. Kris

Lots of ups and downs here.  I spent New Year's Eve and Day with him.  Then January 15th, he moved to Richmond VA.  I though that would pretty much be it, especially since when i talked with him, I heard how well things were going down there.  He made a few trips a back up here, where we either got together, or he basically, although unintentionally, stood me up.  Then in May, I went to Richmond, got a hotel room and spent two nights/three days with him.  It was fun, but when I was on my way back up here, I really thought that would be it between us.  But then in September, he moved back up here.  We've been hanging out on and off since then.  We've had some pretty great times since his return.  But also, I've been disappointed in some things.  I truly am not sure where we're headed.  But nonetheless, he was s huge part of my year.

1. The Presidential Election

This will had the biggest effect on my year, cause I was riveted to it all year long.  And it will have the biggest effect on my coming years.  Obama's not perfect, in fact, I'm not really happy with a lot of his years.  But thank God we won't have to unmitigated disaster four years of plutocrat Mitt Romney would have been.  But really, there was a lot of great things about the election: the clown car Republican Primaries; the 47% speech; Karl Rove's meltdown on election night; 'binders full of women'; 'bayonets and cavalry'; the continued self destruction of the Republican Party by it's catering to the Tea Party; Nate Silver's stats and math being dead on while all the consevative, Faux News pundits' 'gut feelings' were way off; surprisingly to me anyway, Rachel Maddow; the naming of and then total disappearance of, Paul Ryan; Tea Party Senate candidates ensuring the Senate remained in Democratic control, just like in 2010;  the gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes of Republicans after Romney's loss; and watching the returns election night and seeing all the states turning blue.  I'm not optimistic, but I hope Obama's next 4 years are more productive than his first 4.

There were other things this year: Hurricane Sandy & the worry and preparation involved; getting back to the local gay bar, the Lodge; Grandma's mini-stroke, falls, and other issues; rewatching all seven seasons of Star Trek; Voyager on DVD; mom's car accident; getting addicted to Angry Birds; work stress; all the fun at the Gay Pride parade; the summer heat wave; the painting of my bathroom, but those 10 above were the biggest to me.  So, what were some of the biggest things in your year this year?

POLT

1 comment:

Enrico said...

10. Nelly Furtado's new album
9. moving to a new apartment
8. getting a promotion at work
7. visiting the west coast
6. Ed Sheeran and Emeli Sande concerts
5. Downton Abbey
4. getting tans on my legs
3. not getting tans of my face
2. gimme pizza
1. finding my boo