Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sweet dreams are made of these.....

I don't usually remember my dreams.  When I do, I'm not aware of dreaming in color.  And I suppose I hear things in my dreams.  But up until now, I have never smelled anything in my dreams.

When I was growing up, my grandparents had at the back of their driveway, an old rusting '38 Dodge.



I'm not sure what the original color was, perhaps a brown.  or maybe that's just the color from all the rust.    But back in the 70's when I was a kid, and my cousins and I were at my grandparent's house every Sunday night, we'd pile into that car and pretend we were driving it.  I don't think any of the windows were broken, but I remember at least one window wouldn't go up or down because the handle just twirled in a circle.  The leather seats were chapped and split.  The whole inside was covered in dust and cobwebs and stuff.  And now, I wouldn't even open the door on a car like that, but back then, when I was around 10 or so, that was the coolest thing in the world!

Well anyway, I don't really remember the substance of my dream, but when I got  up to go to the bathroom after it, I vividly remembered smelling the inside of that car during it.  A smell of dust, rust, decay, old leather, probably some mildew thrown in, and who knows what else.  But it was like I had just been in that car yesterday. 

Crazy.  Crazy that I smelled something in my dreams, and crazy how smells can bring something back like that so vividly.

POLT

No comments: