Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Twent  nine years ago today, I was sitting in my Senior Year typing class.  I was a very fast typist, but not an accurate one.  And that hasn't changed a whole lot over the ensuing years.

At any rate, we were all typing when, around noon time, someone burst into the room.  I dont recall if it was a teacher or a student.  But they shouted to our teacher (I forget her name, but can see her face as clear as day) that the shuttle had blown up!

All the typewriters fell silent and she, the teacher, said, "WHAT?"  And the other person said again, "The Shuttle blew up!  It's on the news!"  and then they ran out of the room to, I suppose, inform other people.  

Out teacher got up and went to the door that connected us to the classroom next door.  The teacher of that room was just coming into our room, and yes, she had heard of that news too.

I was stunned.  I mean, in all my life, every time we launched a rocket, or, in the last couple years, a Space Shuttle, it gone off without a hitch.  It had become routine.  And I was in shock to think it could blow up.

I dont remember much else about that day.  I do remember the Christa McAuliffe jokes started like the next day.  I thought them cold, callous, and unfunny.  And definitely too soon after the tragedy.

But when people ask me, "Do you remember when you heard that Challenger blew up?"  I can tell them honestly, I do.

POLT

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

Me too. And 9/11. Sad that we have those "Do you remember where you were" moments.