Friday, December 25, 2015

"It's A Wonderful Life"



I had never ever seen this movie all the way through, even though it's been played all over the airways for years at Christmas.

Then, in 2007, the Christmas after dad died, I was at the house with mom on Christmas Eve.  I asked her if she wanted me to stay the night, and she said no, that she was fine.  I saw that It's A Wonderful Life was coming on, and since neither of us had ever seen it all the way through, we decided to watch it, the entire movie.  And thus, was the first time I saw it.

But it wasn't the last.  For a dozen years or so, my Christmas Eve tradition was to watch the Christmas episode of "My So-Called Life" because it touched me so what with the gay character Ricky being kicked out by his family and then finally accepted by Angela's mother.  Brought tears every time.  And after that, I watched the best Christmas Special ever: The Year Without A Santa Claus.  LOVE that one.  The songs, the characters, the fun.  And it cheered me up.  And then I'd go to bed.

Well since 2007, my tradition is just It's A Wonderful Life.  I like the alternative universe part of it (something I've always been attracted to in comic books and sci-fi), as well most of the characters in it.  A good, enjoyable film.

POLT

No comments: