Saturday, December 26, 2015

Someone book me a room (Part 360)...

Chapter 12, Page 25...

Christmas Day, I got up about 9:30.  I showered, dressed, and packed up my Christmas Gifts for mom.  Then I headed on out to her place.

When I got there, she had to finish preparing something for lunch, and then we went into her living room and opened our gifts.  This was MY haul, before the unwrapping:


Beautiful purple wrapping paper.  Anyway, after the unwrapping, this is what I got:


A mug, some strawberry hand soap, gift card to the local movie theater, Star Trek ornament, Superman ornament, two boxes of White House Annual Christmas Tree ornaments (she's now gotten me each and every one ever made from the start in like 1980 or so), and of course, the YARD OF TWIX!  Yes, yes indeed that is a YARD OF TWIX!

I asked what she was thinking giving a YARD OF TWIX to a diabetic!  Her reply?  "Well it was either Twix or Snickers."  HUH?  Like one is better than the other for a diabetic????   Ah, well, that's Mama Polt!

I got her a book she wanted, some minutes for her track phone that she wanted, a subscription to a magazine.  And then I also got her this:


The daughter of a lady I work with is very artistic.  I asked her to paint a picture of mom's house, the one she owned for 49 years and just moved out of this year.  I took a crappy photo of it with my cellphone and emailed it to her.  And from that (and one visit to the place in person to look at a few things) she painted this.  Oh my God, it's amazing!  And incredible job!   When mom opened it and saw it, she started crying.  I teared up too.  She asked how I did this, and I told her the story I related above (with a few more details).

I didn't get it framed, because she's pretty picky about the wood in all her frames in one room matching the furniture, the other frames, etc.  So I told her, once she figured out where she wanted to hang it, we could take it somewhere and get it framed and I'd pay for it then.  She just loved it.

After this, my mother's sister and her husband, and my mother's brother and his wife, arrived, and then the six of us ate Christmas dinner.  Mom, as usual, went crazy with the cooking.  Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, homemade bread, cranberry sauce, corn.  And for dessert, she had fruit salad, ice cream, two different cakes, and something else I can't remember.  Just crazy!  After eating this, and cleaning up, we all went into the living room and sat and chatted for a while.

All day, I'd been fighting off a nagging headache.  Not something horrible or very painful, just kinda distracting and, well...nagging.  So after a little bit of all this, I left and came home. I was supposed to stop by Derick's, but I didn't feel like it, so I texted him and told him.  When I got home, I hung out here, on the computer, reading some, napping more than once.  And then, at 9, it was time for the Doctor Who Christmas Special.  I have not been a fan of the stories the last few years, and I expected very little out of this one as well.  But I was very pleasantly surprised.  The humor worked, was not forced or irritating and in fact, the entire show was was quite enjoyable.  Well, less so the last ten minutes or so, which got sappy.  But other than that great show.

Afterwards, I turned everything off down here, went to bed, read a little bit and then went to sleep.

POLT

No comments: