Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Don't call my name, don't call my name...

I fully realize that this post will cause a few readers' heads to explode, but I gotta post it anyway.

I just today watched Lady Gaga's "Alejandro", and I gotta say, I LOVE it. See for yourself:


Now, as for the song itself, that's just okay. But the video is what I love. I simply adore the look of thing. It's got a futuristic/Blade Runner meets Vogue quality about it that I find fascinating.

And really, how can a video EVER go wrong with hot guys in fishnets, groups of guys in tight shorts and bowlcuts dancing, and well, more hot guys in different outfits than you can shake a stick at.

I do see a LOT of Madonna circa 1990 in this video. But that's NOT an insult. Coming from a Madonna fan like me, that's a huge compliment. Had she been able 20 years ago, I feel confident Madonna would have made a video as risque as this one, and even though she did push the envelope, she was constrained by the standards of her time.

Anyways, back to the video: I try not to be a fan of Gaga, I really don't like her whole 'image over talent' thing, but I gotta tell ya....I DO like quite a few of her songs. And this video, yeah, is changing my opinion of her.

POLT

4 comments:

Jere Keys said...

It reminds me of Madonna's "Express Yourself" video. That's a good thing.

that's J-O-S-H said...

I think the video should have be turned into a video game instead! It would be fun!

john said...

I agree on almost all counts. The one thing I don't agree with is the issue of image over talent.

I think that she is very talented. She can sing, she can dance and bitch knows how to write and perform a damn catchy pop song. Frankly, I think she is playing a game of selling a brand and, for the most part, I think is doing it very well. She

Anonymous said...

Outside of the song sounding exactly like Ace of Base, I like the clip. I can't quite say that her tweaking religion seems creatively honest to her artistic vision, if that makes any sense.