Monday, June 28, 2010

Sucked more blood than a backstreet dentist...

I think I may have mentioned before how I dislike dentist visits and how I can't stand tooth pain and how a tooth of mine has fallen apart into pieces over the last few months. When it was just cracked, at the beginning of the month, I made an appointment with a new dentist. I really didn't like my old dentist very much, and that's why I haven't been to a dentist since the summer of 2008 or so. Yeah, I'm not proud of that, but it is what it is.

So today was the appointment. Firstly, let me say, I LOVE my new dentist. The whole practice is more...modern, more technological or professional. I spent my time with a hygenist, which my old dentist didn't even have. The hygenist was very professional and very understanding of my fears and concerns. She cleaned everything up and polished the teeth. Then she took an x-ray (on a much more advanced x-ray maching than in the old dentist's office), and the result was flashed up on the computer screen right there in the room. She and I both looked at it at the same time.

So the good news was, I didn't have any issues today. The filling that I knew was loose will yes need to be replaced. Prior to the appointment that was my biggest concern. However, from the x-ray, we found out that my left top canine needs extracted (possibly replaced with a bridge), my top right last tooth needs extracted as well. Both of these did not come as a surprise to me. however, what did was the tooth next to the latter tooth I mentioned above, well, it's absessed. I could see it plainly on the x-ray. It's the tooth with the crown on it, so presumably, they'll need to remove the crown to do a...*shudder*...root canal and then replace the crown.

So, to summarize, in addition to the loose filling, I've got to have two extractions and one root canal. Oh joy. I have an appointment for three weeks from today. We're not gonna do ALL of this in one day, thank GOD, but we'll get something done that day, something that's potentionally quite painful. And I'm already stressed about it. As I left the office, there was this knot of stress in the pit of my stomach. I'm better now, but as the day approaches, oh yeah, it's gonna get really bad.

POLT

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like your new dentist. I have your same fears/issues. I'm always a basket case when I have to go. I go to a sedation dentist now. Let me tell you, the drugs are necessary.

Jere Keys said...

I haven't been to a dentist since 2004. Not because I dislike them, because I haven't had dental insurance. My last full time job had medical and vision, but not dental. It's not going to be pretty when I finally do get back in to see someone.

Tam said...

Ugh. But at least you like them. There are some modern machines that make going to the dentist less icky. Mojo when the day comes for all that work. Sounds scary.

john said...

Ugh, sorry you have to have so much done. Not only is it potentially painful, it can be so expensive! I'm lucky, I have my Dad's teeth. He is 80 and has a full set of his own teeth. Since pulling out my wisdom teeth, I have a very easy set of teeth to clean, usually about 15 minutes and I'm done.