Sunday, June 06, 2010

You wake me in my sleep...

I am NOT an easy riser. Nor am I a happy riser. I am in no sense of the word a morning person. I simply HATE waking up.

I used to use a lot of leave at work because I could never get there on time. Since I had to be there at 8:00, I'd set my alarm for 7:00, but I can NEVER get up right when the alarm goes off. So I'd reset it to 7:15, or 7:30 or 7:45 and then slowly wake up. But by then, it was too late to make it by 8, so I'd call in and take an hour's leave and show up at 9:00.

But since I moved into the house, I've gotten in the habit of setting the alarm for 6:15. That allows me to have 45 to an hour to gradually wake up. Which is just about what I need. And so, I've been making to work on time lately.

Speaking of sleeping, it's funny how childhood things persist into adulthood. When I was little, couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, I saw the movie Sleeping Beauty. My bedroom had a door that led out into a hallway, and at the end of that hallway was a window. One night, I got up for whatever reason and looked out the door, and I could see straight to the window, and in the shadows on the window, i saw the evil stepmother from Sleeping Beauty. Horns on her head and ALL!


And from that point on, I could NOT sleep with the door to the hallway open. Later on, my parents moved their bedroom to a different room in the house, and I got their old bedroom, which was at the front of the house. This room had a door that went out into that hallway as well, although I couldn't see the window from this door. Nonetheless, up until the time I moved out in my late 20's, I could NOT go to sleep if the door to that hallway was open.

Now, I'm living in my own home. My bedroom door goes out into the hallway. In the winter, I kept the door shut so I only heated my bedroom when I was in it. now that's its hot, I'd like to sleep with the door open so that the fan can circulate air better, BUT....I cant. Believe, I've tried. I've kept the door open, but as I'm laying in bed, try as I might, I can not get to sleep.

I KNOW there's not an evil witch, or anything else, out in the hallway. I KNOW there's no one or nothing out there that's gonna 'get' me. But for some reason, I can't relax, my mind can't shut down if that door is open. Just like when I was in my parents' house. It's like, with the door open, my mind is on heightened alert and won't calm down enough for me to sleep. It's crazy!

Course, soon, I'll be putting the air conditioner in my bedroom, and then I'll want the door shut so I'm only cooling my room when I'm in it. but still, that's just insane how unconscious childhood memories can overrule an adult, logical mind.

POLT

No comments: