Saturday, August 03, 2013

I hear you calling on the phone.....

So mom has to get a colonoscopy Monday, and since they'll put her under for that, she needs someone to take her there.  So I said of course I'd take her.  I mean, even if didn't want to do it, after all she did for me, how could I possibly say no?

So she calls me today at work to tell me she found out when she had to be at the hospital.  Six thirty.  In the morning.  Six FREAKING thirty.  In the AM!  What the hell????  Monday's my day off/day to sleep in.

As soon as she told me the time, she starts chuckling a bit and babbling: you can drop me off and then go home and then can call you; I can see if Marylou and take me; maybe Caroline can take me, etc, etc.  And I'm like "No, no, no, no...I'll do it, no problem.  And I'll wait.  I'll take along a book and read. Or fall asleep in one of the chairs.  Or whatever."

I really dont mind doing it, and while I will HATE getting up that early, once I'm up and moving, it should all be okay.

So, tonight at about 5:30, I called her to see when her dietary stuff kicked in. (She's got to drink all this crap and take some pills or something.  And usually, Sundays, she and I go get lunch somewhere.  I was just checking it we were still going to do that.)  So I called at 5:30, and the line was busy.  Called again at 6:30, still busy.  Called at 7:00, still busy.  Called at 7:20, busy.  So I figured she was talking to my aunt, or one of my cousins, or one of her cousins.  I swear, those women can be on that phone for HOURS talking to each other after having just spent some time the day before in person talking!  I don't get it.

So after that fourth try of getting through I called her cellphone.  She picked it up and said, "Hello?"  I was a bit frustrated and blurted out, "Is your phone off the hook?" Planning on added something like "Well then quit talking to who you're talking to so OTHER people can call!"

But when I asked the first question, she said, "Well I don't know, I don't think so."  Then she said, "Oh, yes, yes it is!  I wonder where the phone is..." and then I listened to her walk around the house trying to find it.  Eventually, she did, and said, "THERE it is.  And it's still on.  Oh, I wonder who I was talking to...."

And then we both laughed and laughed.  *SIGH*  oh it's always a story with mom....

POLT

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

We already know Mama Polt's a saint, but getting up before 6:30 on your day off? You might be a saint, too!