Sunday, May 09, 2010

On mother's day in a state of perpetual bliss...

So today, of course, was Mother's Day. Just in case anyone doesn't know, I hate Mother's Day. And Father's Day. And Valentine's Day. They're all 'manufactured' holidays. If I love my mother, which I do, I'm going to tell her throughout the year that I love her, which I do, and NOT just on some day that Hallmark says I need to send cards to tell her. I've felt this way for years, so mom knows she'll get something from me, but before Mother's Day, or afterwards, but never ON Mother's Day itself.

So I sent her a card in the mail that she got yesterday. And she figured that was it. But I had something different planned. She knew I was coming over Sunday for lunch, like I usually do. What she didn't know what that I had another card and some flowers for her as well. They were daises, almost flourescent colored daises. And I set them on her counter like below so she'd see them first thing when came into the kitchen.



She thanked me for them and all and then told me grandma was out in the car (She drives her to church each week). She said she didn't feel right leaving her mother home alone to eat lunch on Mother's Day, so she brought her along.

The three of us went to eat. We tried The Parlor House, but the line was way too long. There's too many places to eat around to wait in line, so we went somewhere else. Grandma suggested this place called "Mike's". It's a diner up on top of the moutain. So we went there.

I didn't really want to go there, I'd eaten there before and didn't really like it. The food was poor, the service even more so, the decor and ambiance nonexistant. But it's where grandma wanted to go.

And I didn't say anything cause I felt a bit guilty. Satruday night was her birthday. Mom arranged it so 22 other family members were at a restaurant to surprise her for her birthday. And they did surprise. But I couldn't go. Cause prior to knowing about this, I agreed to attend the surprise 25th wedding anniversary party for a co-worker. So I said I'd have to go there first. And what's worse, I got sick at work yesterday and didn't go to that either. I spent the night on the sofa watching TV. So I missed both of the festivities, but I felt worse about missing grandma's, even though I was sick.

Anyway, we got to Mike's and everything was as I remembered it: food, decor, service..everything, lacking. But whatever, I struggled through it. I alos picked up the check. Mom wanted to pay for her mother's part, but I told I'd pay for both (again with the guilt).

Afterwards, we dropped grandma off and then I hung around mom's for a bit, talking and stuff. I also managed to capture this entirely adorable photo:


That's Angel's football I got her last year. You'll note the Dallas Cowboys-esque color scheme. I did when I bought it.

So anyway, that's how Mother's Day went in the Polt family. And to any and all Mothers reading this, a Happy Mother's Day to you all!

POLT

1 comment:

Tam said...

Sorry you were sickly. I'm not a big fan of manufactured holidays either. I never even sent my Mom a card. Eh. It's just not a big deal to us. The line of people buying flowers at the grocery store was insane though. I love those brightly colored daisies.