Friday, May 21, 2010

You start the engine and you drive...

I feel so butch!

I was driving Sebastian to work Tuesday, and before I got there, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. After a moment's panic (I HATE it when unfamiliar lights suddenly light up on the dashboard!), I just thought I'd drive it onto work, maybe it wouldn't come on when I started it up to go home.


But it did. So then, on the ride home I'm thinking about when I can call the mechanic to drop it off and have him look at it. See, I know how to drive a car, put gas in it, and check (although not change) the oil. And that's about it. So anytime anything like this happens, I have to go to the expense of and inconvience of dropping the car at the mechanic's for him to fix.

When I got home, I was pretty tired, and just not up to calling mom to see when I could take her car to work, thus meaning that would be the day I'd drop the car off at the mechanic. And I went to bed and forgot about it.

Until Wednesday morning on the way to work, when it lit up again, causing the mild panic, and then just kinda pissing me off. On the way home from work, as I sat stopped at a stop light, and looking at the little light just glaring at me, mocking me, I got really pissed. So I pulled to owner's manual out. Due to the light changing, I couldn't read it just then. But when I pulled into the store's parking lot I was going to, I read the manual before going in.

The manual said that the light meant something was wrong with the exhaust system. And it mentioned a bunch of stuff I didn't understand. But in addition, it mentioned that the gas cap could be loose. I could try tightening it and if that was the problem after a few drives, the problem should correct itself and the light should go off. So before going into the store, I checked the gas cap, took it off and put it back on. But after returning to the car and driving it home, the light remained on.

And when I started it up Thursday morning for work, yep it was still on. So obviously, that wasn't the problem. Now I had to think of when i was gonna drop the car off. But then, right before I arrived at work, I noticed...the light had gone off.

Oh yeah, who's the man? I'M the man! Fixed it all by myself. Didn't have to rely on a mechanic, and it cost no money nor inconvience. Oh yeah, I ROCK.

So as I said, I feel so butch. It doesn't take much.


POLT

6 comments:

Michelle M. said...

That JUST happened to Harry. He took it in to get it checked out. Turned out it was the gas cap. Congratulations on ignoring the problem away!

Anonymous said...

And your mechanic will just plug in a reading device that will tell him what's wrong.

Could be EGR or oxygen sensor. The latter is pretty delicate and is the first to go.

that's J-O-S-H said...

In my constant pursuit of spending little as money as possible all the time, I ended up learning quite a bit about my car. It's fun not having to be @ the mercy of other personaz! Rule #1 of life: Everyone should either know how to troubleshoot their automobile problems or have good friends that do.

Polt said...

Rule #2: Never buy a car that's too big or too heavy for you to push. :)

HUGS...

stratcat45 said...

When my car has done that it was an oxygen sensor; but that light comes on also at certain mileage points just as a reminder to get your car a check up!!!

hoteltuesday said...

I'm glad my mechanic is my sister's best friend. CHEAP SERVICE.