Wednesday, May 05, 2010

We gon' make these cats stop! why they waitin...

Anyone that knows me knows that I hate cats. Always have. I think cats are sneaky, inattentive, selfish and selfabsorbed. Cats do what they want, when they want, with no regard to what their owners may want or think. And litterboxes stink and are just nasty. As are hairballs. I know everyone doesn't feel this way, and that's fine, I'm not saying everyone should. I'm just sayin how I feel about them.

I've always been a dog person. Dogs are excited to see you, whenever you enter a room, even if they only saw you a few minutes ago. They came when they're called, not just when they feel like it, like a cat. If the cat comes at all. Dogs are friendly, open, playful and loyal. And I'm not allergic to them.

I've been thinking lately about why I feel this way. To my knowledge, I've never had a bad run-in with a cat. My cousins got a kitten when I was like 14 or so, and Rascal and I had fun with each other when I was at their house. Until he grew up into a cat, and then couldn't care less about me, or playing or anything like that.

And my Fairy Godfather Mark had several cats, one of which was a Siamese named Spencer. He was gray with blue eyes, even though the eyes were crossed. Spencer, I always liked. He wouldn't rub against me like all other cats do. They can't stand it that I don't pay attention to them, and then they have to rub against me to find out why I don't. But Spencer never did that. And he'd sit there and talk to me. I'd say something to him and he'd meow at me. And I'd say something else, and he'd meow at me again. It was like a conversation. And he's the only cat I liked.

But at any rate, I was thinking about why I have always hated cats. I figured it must have been something from my youth. So I thought back as hard as I could. I don't have any memories of some vicious cat scratching. I don't have any recall or falling into a dirty litterbox as an infant. I didn't get slashed by a horde of alleycats. I was mystified.

And then, for some reason, I remembered THIS from "The Lady And The Tramp":




You see? You SEE!!! They're sneaky, they're duplicitious, and they like getting dogs into trouble. Cute, little, lady-like Spaniel dogs.

I saw this when I was a little kid. I musta been 6 or 7 years old. I loved the movie and I remember listening to the album (yes, album, not CD's or tapes...this was the early 70's after all) over and over and over again. But I could never listen to that song because the cats scared me.

I think I was scarred as a youth. But even so, cats are demon seed.

POLT

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cats like all dogs, have different personalities.

E.g. My Angie - she comes when called, if an attention hound, and loves nothing better than to be curled up in my lap. Yes she's a lap cat.

And unlike you I'm not allergic to cats bu allergic to dogs instead.

Mark said...

When I was a kid we had a Siamese cat that would poop and pee in the toilet. No litter box necessary. But we could never teach her to flush. I like cats, they never fail to knock me down a few notches when I get big headed from all of the dog adoration.

john said...

I remember listening to this album as well, but pretty much listened to this song only.

Never had a cat, never will, too allergic. Not a huge fan of them, but that may be due to the fact they tend to be like people.

that's J-O-S-H said...

"Cats do what they want, when they want, with no regard to what their owners may want or think."

DUH! That's why I love them! Like C. Aguilera [feat. Lil' Kim], you can't hold them down!