Friday, May 28, 2010

Tonight is something of a mind boggling anniversary for me. Ten years ago, the Friday night before Memorial Day, 2000, I started working at Borders bookstore.


I simply can not believe it's been ten years since I started. And seven years since I quit. It feels like just yesterday.

I had SUCH good times there. This was the first place I ever worked where I was out. Not from the very begining, but a few months afterwards. And from then on, everyone that worked there knew. It was so liberating to work in a place where everyone knew i was gay, and no one cared.

And the people I worked with, oh my God. I have never in my life worked with such an awesome group of people, despite the high turnover. Damn near everyone that worked there during my three years was an incredibly awesome person. I'm still best friends with the ParisPekings, both of whom I met there. And Ghostie I met there as well.

I'm not sure how I handled the schedule: Friday, work my regular job 8-4, work at Borders 5-9 or 10, go to TGIFridays with Borders people and drink and eat until about 1:00am. Saturday, work my regular job 7-3. Sunday, work Borders from 10-6. Monday was only day totally off work from both jobs. And even though I was ten years younger, I still dont see how I did it without collapsing.

But oh the fun we had there. At least in the beginning. The joking around, the playing, even a good portion of the customers were fun. Sure there were assholes (both bosses, coworkers and customers) but by and large I have only good memories from my time working there. Certainly it was the most fun I've ever had in any job I've ever had.

And to think ten years have passed...wow....

POLT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting I interviewed for two jobs in one shot this past Thursday.

One is a M-F 9AM-6PM deal. The other is all sorts of weird hours, shifts, etc. including having to work a holiday or two.

I so do not want the latter job. I'm qualified as all hell for it but the hours are fucking insane.

13messages said...

I like this post. It reminds me a lot of my old record store days.

tornwordo said...

I don't know how we did it either. I was terrified when I had to do 9-9 shifts for a week. But I made it. Thank god it was only for a week though!