Thursday, May 13, 2010

Should I stay or should I go?

I've a bit of a conumdrum. Well not really, but it's something I gonna talk about anyway.

Back about 15 years ago or so, I met this guy at the bar named Doug. We fooled around several times. It was good. We were friends with benefits. And several times a year, 7 or 8, we'd take advantage of those benefits. Then he moved to the Baltimore suburbs. Our get togethers changed to about 2 to 3 a year. He stop by here if he was in the area, I'd make plans to go down visit him, things were well.

One time, he told me he had met a guy named Dmitri and they were kinda dating. No biggie I thought. A relationship wasn't in the cards for us. We had fun together, the sex was great, but neither of us thought it would go any further than that. If he wanted to date somebody, why should I care?

One time, when i got to his house, Dmitri was there. He was leaving because I was arriving to spend the night. It was, to say the least, awkward. And he kinda hung around and dallied and delayed and almost had to be pushed out the door by Doug. Which is understandable, since apparently Dmitri thought the relationship was more serious than Doug did. But eventually he left and the evening continued apace. I didn't feel bad cause I wasn't the one in the relationship ya know? And it's not like Doug was lying to him or keeping it behind his back. And I thought they were just in the early stages of dating, not exclusively or anything.

But Dmitri and I...did not hit it off, to say the least. Obviously.

A few weeks ago, I got an invitation from Doug to go with them to a clothing opitional spa in Virginia. I didn't go because, well frankly, I wouldn't feel comfortable being in a place where I might feel compelled to undress. And also, I didn't really think I'd be comfortable spending an extended period of time with Dmitri. So I gracefully declined. I was honored, if a bit surprised by the invitation.

Then today, I get an email from Doug. He's asking if I can attend 'their wedding reception'. It's more of a party for friends and relatives cause gay marriage isn't as yet legal in Maryland. And again I'm honored for the invite. But I therein lies my conumdrum...

Should I go? I mean, would Dmirtir want me there? Or am I making too much of an issue out of how he may feel about me, especially since I haven't seen him but once. And since I've only seen him once, is it really appropriate I be there? And more than likely, I won't know anyone else BUT Doug...and he'll be a bit busy to spend the time talking to just me. But then, I'm sure they'll be other gay guys there...unattached gay guys. And it is an honor to be invited to such an event.

So I don't know, I'm still conflicted about the whole thing. Luckily, I've got like two months to decide.

So, any suggestions?

POLT

5 comments:

Paul said...

Only go if you get a hot date to bring with you.

That way Miss Dimitri won't get her painties in a twist, thinking you are there to steal her man on his wedding day.

Also you will have someone to split a hotel room with, and some bait to snag a possible third, I mean it is a gay wedding right, and remember what happens in MARYland stays in MARYland!!

Tam said...

I assume you and Doug haven't been together since he and Dmitri got exclusive? If that's the case then if you WANT to go, go. They've obviously worked out their issues and are moving forward. Now if Doug and you still have a "thing" and you know Dmitri would rather gouge your eyes out with the cake knife than cut the cake, then I'd just send a nice card/gift and my best wishes for a lovely future.

It's always a bit awkward when you only know one half of a couple well (involved or not) and will be the only one there. It's not like you share a lot of common friends. Likely I'd go for the best wishes route anyway because I'm a giant introvert who would practically hyperventilate at the idea of me and a bunch of strangers.

Mark said...

You said clothing optional spa. So I assume it wasn't White Tail Park. (Thats a real place), but instead of a spa it's more of a campground. Anyway, it's like 8 miles from my house, and no, I've never been. I hear most of the people who go are Not the kinda people you want to see nude. http://www.whitetailresort.org/

john said...

For what it is worth, I think the first thing to figure out is how *you* would feel being there.

Assuming Doug and Dmitri have a solid enough relationship to have entered into a formal commitment (sadly not a legal marriage) then they should have worked on any discomfort with your presence. If they haven't, then you shouldn't have been invited.

So, if you want to go and celebrate their union, then go. If you are uncomfortable for any reason, then tactfully decline.

hoteltuesday said...

Will there be free food? If yes, GO!!!