Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Party on the ceiling...

Parental stuff:

Today would have been my parents’ 47th wedding anniversary. But since dad died in October 2007, well that kinda precluded any
future anniversaries.

Also, my mother’s uncle Donald died over the weekend. He was well into his 80’s and was living in a home. I never in my life met Donald. Mom hadn’t had any contact with him in decades. That’s just the way Donald was.

He had three kids to two women but was spending the end of his life with a third woman. None of his kids wanted to have anything to do with him during his life, and they didn’t have anything to do with him in death.

Mom and her mother went to the funeral. None of his kids were there. Apparently, he wasn’t much of a father when they were growing up, if was even in their lives at all. I think that’s incredibly sad to live your life in a fashion that makes your kids want to not have anything to do with you and that makes you have little to no relationships with other members of your extended family. But, you reap what you sow.

I don’t wish my great-uncle Donald dead, but I can’t really feel any sadness for him. I never knew him. I just hope that when I pass, I’ve got every living relative and hordes of friends around my casket. Then they can all have a party after I’m in the ground and celebrate my life. And I’m hereby, right now, invited all of you to that party. There’ll be food and drink, streamers, party hats, and dancing music. I wouldn’t want to have it any other way.


POLT

6 comments:

Tam said...

I'm sorry about your Uncle, but as you said, he was just a stranger to you. It is kind of sad, but people set themselves up for that and I feel more sad for his kids, hopefully they had other good people in their lives to make up for his absence.

I think you my dear will need to use a bigger facility for your funeral, we'll be spilling out the doors, all of us in our walkers and wheel chairs and elbowing our way forward with our canes. :-)

Polt said...

Well except for Enrico and Josherz, who shall never grow old and will be dancing a jig at my funeral. To the sounds of P!nk, naturally. :)

HUGS...

that's J-O-S-H said...

Why do you think you're dying soon?! Morbid! And I won't dance to P!nk @ any funerals! I'll be crying to Michelle Branch!

Polt said...

Josherz, I don't believe i'll be dying soon (at least I HOPE I dont!), but when I do, I'm just inviting everyone now. Even if it's 40 years or more in the future.

And I fully expect you and Enirco to be eternally young and probably the ones able to still dance, to be the ones to dance. :)

HUGS...

Mark said...

I recently told my sister that when I'm 82 years old and get hit by a bus,(full of gay boys on their way to spring break), that I want to be cremated. She emphatically told me she couldn't do that. I was offended at first, but then I figured funerals are for the living, not the dead. So if she wants to pay to have me stuffed and mounted, Go for it! What will I care?

Michelle M. said...

And we'll all drink Pepsi and wear purple!

But don't die.