Saturday, November 14, 2015

Someone book me a room (Part 318)...

Chapter 11, Page 13...

Friday, I got up and to work actually a little bit early.  Fridays are my one co-worker's day off, and the other was going to be late due to a Medical appointment.  SO I knew I'd be by myself at the beginning and I wanted to get a start on any work that needed done.

There were three new clients, which I took care of.  And then I set about getting through some other paperwork that needed done.  Anything, really, to keep me distracted.  See, as I may, or may not, have mentioned, I made the appointment with my dentist after work to get the nagging tooth pulled.

And I was stressed about it all freakin' day!  Naturally, I thought the worst was going to happen.  I knew the dentist, who is a GREAT dentist, would do a great job.  And I knew I'd have some good narcotics afterwards so I'd not feel any pain.  BUT, my concern was the actual process of ripping it outta my head: how much, even with novocaine and the dentist's awesomeness, it was gonna hurt.  Or, even it was numb, I'd still hear, and taste, and feel the pressure of the removal.

Oh GOD, the stress!

Stress that was WAY outta proportion to what I was stressing about.  Despite knowing I was over stressing about it, I couldn't stop stressing.  *SIGH*  That's the way it is.

Anyway, after work, I came home, again stressing all the way.  I got home, got the mail, brushed my teeth and gargled, and then, even though my appointment was at 5PM, and it was only 430-ish, I decided to just go over early and wait.  And so I did.

I got there, they talked to me, keeping me calm.  The dentist put the novocaine in and then we waited.  I was the last patient of the day, so the staff gathered in his office and was talking, but they were also 'checking in' in on me, I guess to make sure I was doing okay.  I was up pacing, though, was just too nervous to sit still.

When the time came, well they started working on it.  Put more novocaine in right around the tooth specifically and at the same time he said he was pulling the the flesh back from the tooth.  And then he took ahold of it with something (my eyes were closed) and the assistant said expect some pressure.  And despite all the novocaine and stuff, oh yeah, I felt it, for only like two seconds, but it was sharp pain.  Yeah, that wasn't pleasant, but then it was over.

I had told him before when the OTHER dentist (the one before him, the bad dentist) had pulled the other bottom tooth of mine, he had a HELL of a time.  I was in the chair for like a half hour.  And when it was out, he said the two front roots had grown together and that made it harder to get out.

I'm glad I told the current dentist this, because when it was out he asked if I wanted to see it.  Which I didn't really, but I said yes, and he showed it to me.  All I saw was a bloody tooth, but he said my roots HAD grown together, and that it was a big tooth, and if that's the case, you needed the special forcets like he had used, not the regular ones.  Okay, whatever, I was all sweaty and a bit pale and not feeling great after all this.  But at the same time, I was very relieved it was over.

So they told me some instructions, gave me some gauze and a prescription for Vicodins, and sent me on my way.  I got home by 5:10pm.  Mom stopped by as planned, took the script and went to get it filled.  She got back and I started taking them, also making sure to change the gauze every 20 minutes.  I kept changing it up until after 10 sometime, and then I didn't put any more gauze in.  I think it might have still been bleeding a bit, but not like it had been.

Mom and I went to the basement to get a few things she wanted.  And then I spent the remainder of the evening on the couch, watching "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", all three hours of it.  And then I watched an hour or two of the news coverage from the terrorist attacks in Paris.  Horrible.

During all of this, for over an hour, I was texting this guy named Diego.  I follow his blog and have for years.  And we've chatting via email, and then decided to exchange numbers and we texted.  He is a FASCINATING individual.  Been all over the world.  Went to school in Paris.  Has several degrees.  Works in NYC.  Just a real interesting fellow.  I'm looking forward to texting with him again soon.

Finally about 11:30, I went up to bed.  I wasn't trying to stay awake, but I wasn't really tired.  I read some, was on my phone some, and the next thing I knew, it was almost 4 in the morning!  Finally, then, I turned the light out and soon thereafter went to sleep.

POLT

No comments: