Thursday, April 22, 2010

Back down in my hometown, everybody's feelin...

Early last December, I took a walk to the Post Office to mail...something. At any rate, along the way, I took some photos of my small hometown of Waynesboro. The photos were all on the computer that went tits up earlier this year and I lost access to them. but, when Corey fixed it up, I was able to get them off. And so, here they are.

Enjoy this evening stroll through Waynesboro.


An antique store front.


This little building is on the town square and it's not only a home, but its also a store, the Olympia Candy Kitchen. It's been there for a long time, for more than 100 ears or more, I think. They made and sold their own candy there. Its a town landmark.


A church was lit up from the inside and I liked the sight of it coming through the windows.


This is a bare piece of ground with a parking lot behind it. Thirty years ago it was the home of my childhood best friend Trudy. There was a house here that they lived in. Several years back, the nearby church bought it and tore it down.


This is Town Hall. Its the largest building in town. It was built in the 1800's as a firehall, with horse drawn fire engine. It's also been the police station, a theater, and an opera house(!). Now it's used just for the town's administrative business. Oh, and the clock tower keeps perfect time.


One of the two fire stations we have in town.


One of the street lights along main street, decorated for the holidays.


The town's public library. It's along main street and in an old mansion converted to the library. They made an addition to it about twenty years ago, which I think is an eyesore. So I didn't include that in the photo.


This another open patch of empty land. Well not quite empty, it's got playground equipment on it. I just liked the way the light play was in the photo.


The town Post Office.


The town square. You can see the town Christmas Tree on the right. They used to put it in the center of the square bypassing traffic around it. And after much controversy, they decided to move it to the side of the square instead. I liked it better in the center.


A random storefront. I like the layout and design of it.


Another storefront. This one splits around the center glass case and goes to two seperate stores. Innovative design.


The world famous Waynesburger, lit up and doing business.

Hope you liked your nighttime sojourn through my home town!

POLT

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Very suburban.

Places like that give me the creeps in general. Give me a city where the building go 100' tall and above.

For example, here is our city hall. It's off to the left in the photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cthulhuwho1/3806217280/sizes/m/

Or the general skyline:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesleepy/1673725325/

And it's too small for me now.

FDot said...

Electricity? Automobiles? Printed reading material? Hmmm, perhaps Waynesboro is not as medieval as originally thought.

that's J-O-S-H said...

What's a "Waynesburger"?!

Polt said...

Josherz: Waynesburger is an indepentently owned burger joint in Waynesboro. They have great food, a bit pricey, but made right in front of your eyes to the peak of perfection!

HUGS...

Michelle M. said...

I love the "Seek no further" on the antique store. And a candy kitchen? I could do some damage there.