Thursday, April 29, 2010

Meet you at the cemetery gates, keats and yeats...

Over the last ten years or so, I've taken an Easter egg to my grandfather's grave at Easter and placed it there, for him. In doing so this year, I walked down to the cemetery. And since pap's grave is on the other side of the cemetery, I walked through the cemetery.

I love cemeteries (although not at night...*shudder*). I like looking at the gravestones and seeing the dates they lived and imaging what they experienced in the their lives. And I like looking at the statues and stuff on the graves. Especially the angels, I always liked angels.

So when I was walking towards pap's grave, I took these photos:


An obelisk as big as some of the surrounding trees.


Sorry for the fuzziness, but I like this simple colonnade. It a simple design, but rather elaborate for a gravestone.


An angel. And I don't know if you can see it, but the stains from the rains makes it look like she's crying.


An angel atop an elaborate grave. The Hoeflich's obviously had money. I remember a teacher telling us in high school that back in the 1920's, my little town, Waynesboro had the highest number of millionaires, per capita, or any place in the country. It doesn't surprise me, what with all the large manufacturing companies founded around here and the small size of the town. So I suppose all the large monuments attest to that fact.


Again, I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but there are three large obelsisks in this one photo, all of them again larger than some of the trees around them.


Another sad angel.


And finally, Pap's grave, with the egg I made for him resting on it.

POLT

No comments: