Friday, March 02, 2007

When the heart of this star-crossed voyager...

Spike TV is replaying episodes of Star Trek:Voyager.



I have always felt that Voyager was the weakest of teh Ster Trek series. There were some memorable characters, notably the holographic Doctor was always fantastic, and Seven Of Nine (and it has NOTHING to do with the painted-on outfits they made her wear. That always made me wonder if her boobs were Borg implants, they were so big. So big even a gay guy couldn't help but notice them. But I digress...) And Harry Kim was perhaps the cutest guy to even appear on any Star Trek episode (the Enterprise's Ensign Mayweather not withstanding). And they had some decent storylines:The one where Kes goes backwards in time; the "Year Of Hell", almost all the Borg episodes.

However, they had some pretty bad characters too. Chakotay was...well, bland. And played stiffer than some of the scenery behind him. Tom Paris was an irritant. And was Neelix EVER not a bad character?

But the worst thing about the series was how horrible the stories were. Each of the series had some bad episodes, but Voyager seems to have had more than the others. And when Voyager was bad, it was REALLY bad. I didn't even watch all the episodes when they originally aired, that's how little I cared about it.



But now that Spike is replaying them in the middle of the afternoon, I've been watching them. And I gotta tell ya...as I thought, when Voyager is bad it REALLY stinks. however, having seen more of the episodes, I don't think as many of the episodes were as bad as I originally thought they were.

The Next Generation is the one I identify with most and enjoy the most. And I always compare all subsequent series to that one, and none match up. And compared to the Next Generation, well, Voyager just doesn't compare. However, now as I watch them, I'm trying to watch each episode within the context of Voyager itself, and not trying to compare it to the Next Generation, and as I say, it's not as bad as I had thought.

Oh, it's still not good, exactly. But more episodes are watchable and tolerable than I had originally thought. Althought those damn Kazon and Janeway's stupid hairstyle from the early seasons are really hard to take in ANY storyline.

POLT

You've got to measure in order to begin to effect change, that's just more - when there's more than talk, there's just actual - a paradigm shift. - Bushie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK polt, your on thin ice. One more strike and you will be forced to forfeit your GAy card. LOL.
Exhibit one: Watching Spike TV.
Exhibit two: 7 of 9 's boobs were so big even a gay guy would notice. ( I hope when you noticed you were thinking: Damn those things are grotesque)
At least you agree that Janeways hair styles were hard to take.
Nothing compares with the original Star Trek for campiness, bad acting and cheesy sets. I once saw a giant rock move when kirk fell against it. Still I think it was the right show for the times. You can keep your gay card. Freddie trumps all the evidence to the contrary. hehehe!