Monday, March 26, 2007

You'll see the common day catching up...

this evening, as planned I met with Paul and we caught up. I was expecting him to come to my apartment, when we spoke, he suggested meeting for a meal, and the girlfriend would be coming along. This was unexpected, and I feared it would be awkward, as she and i had never met. But we agreed to meet at Applebees.

Everything went quite well. We were there for about an hour and a half. And while there was a bit of awkwardness at first, that quickly disapated. Girlfriend's name is Crystal. She was quite through most of the night, but then Paul and I were discussing and talking about a LOT of stuff that she knew nothing about. At the end, she opened up. She seems like she's a nice girl, and paul is doing well. he seems happy, and that's good. And he's coming up on his 5 year anniversary of the last time he used drugs, which is a very good thing.

Afterwards, I needed to get some chips for lunch this week, and luckily, there was grocery story in the same lot as Applebees. So I got the chips. but I also this little slice of heaven there! (and no, I don't mean the cute gay boy behind the counter, that's a story for another time) I found THIS:



It's some kind of dessert, it has vanilla custard and strawberry glaze together atop small squares of yellow spongecake, topped with whipped cream and sprinkles. Yes, I but on 5 pounds just looking at it. but I could NOT say no! And once I got it home, I dug in...and felt my blood sugar level triple after only three bites. It was absolutely scrumptious...but not the sort of thing a diabetic wants to eat at 10:00 pm. (it's something a diabetic should eat at ALL, but that too is a whole other post) So I put it in the fridge for tomorrow...but man my mouth is watering even now!

Also, spending this time with Paul reminded me of how he was: Goth-like, in fishnets and black, heroin-thin, with always a hair color not seen in nature. this is not how he was, just how I remembered him. (He actually has put on some weight, but only enough to look healthly, not skeletal, and was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with brown hair) At any rate, I found a icon to use for him:



This is NOT Paul, just how I remember him, so I'll be using that one when i talk about him.

POLT

"Do you enjoy losing?" "Not that much, no. But then again I really don't ahve a lot to compare it to." - toby Zeigler, The West Wing

1 comment:

Ryan said...

good for paul 5 years clean this is a good thing! your a great friend just thought i should tell ya. even if the pic anot paul wow!