Sunday, July 19, 2015

I can avoid it, if I just confine.....

So, Monday, I get the mail, and one of the envelopes is from the US Federal District Court in Harrisburg!  And I first think, "I hope it's not jury duty."  Then as I'm opening it, I think, "Oh GOD, I hope no one's suing me!"  And when I pulled the papers out....it was for jury duty.  Which is better than being sued in Federal Court, but still...

*SIGH*

And I was on jury duty for the MONTH of September.  I didn't have to go the entire month, but I'd have to call every Friday to see if I was needed the following week.  And if so, I'd have to go up there.  To Harrisburg.  And if I was picked for a jury, I would be ON the jury for the duration of the trial.  Even if it was, ya know, like a 6 or 8 week trial.

*DOUBLE SIGH*

I wanted to see what Federal Court was like, to compare it to the three juries I've been on in the past.  But I did NOT want to have to drive to Harrisburg to do so.  And for God knows how long?  But serving on juries is out civic duty, so I didn't want to lie or sneak my way out of it.  So I guess I would be possibly going.

So as I looked through the form, I saw there were 10 categories for exemption.  The 2nd one was if you had serves on a Federal or State just in the last two years.  Well I was on a jury back in March of last year.  But that was a county court.  I didn't know if that counted as a 'state' court for their purposes or not.

I filled the form out online, and I used that exemption to see if I could get out of it.  I wasn't going to lie or cheat, but if I was able to use a legitimate excuse to avoid it, then I would.    I submitted the form, and was told I could check back to see if it had been processed yet.  Processing takes 3-5 business days.

But less than 4 hours later, I had an email from them saying my form was processed!  And I clicked on it and found that I was disqualified!  YAY!  I made sure I printed that page out too, to keep, in case I need it later.

I would LOVE to serve on a jury again.  I just dont want to have to drive to Harrisburg to do so.  And I don't want to have to be available over and entire month!  Give me a good old local trial at our local county seat, and I'll be there in a heartbeat!

POLT

No comments: