Monday, November 19, 2007

You can kill them in the classic style...

I'm on my way home from work tonight, flipping through the radio stations trying to find something, ANYthing to listen to. Then I come upon "Cheap Sunglasses" by ZZTop. Not a favorite song of mine, but one I can listen to, and sing along with. And then, "All Apologies" from Nirvana. I LOVE Nirvana, so I listened and sand all the way through that. And following that was the song "Cum On Feel The Noisz", by....some mid-80's hair metal band. Unfortunately, I knew enough of that song to sing along a bit. And then there was a station promo, this particular station plays "classic" rock.






And I damn near wrecked the car.

Classic Rock??? Nivana???? Nirvana is Classic Rock???????????

I know at some point in time that would happen, but holy Keith Richards' shriveled liver, there's no WAY it could be THIS soon. I mean Nirvana was only, what......fifteen years ago?

And I damn near wrecked the car again.

Fifteen years!!! Can it really be that long since they were big? It seems impossible, but it is so. Nonetheless, isn't 15 years too soon to be 'classic' rock? In the mid to late 80's, when I was in my big 'classic' rock phase, I listened to the Stones and the Doors from the late 60's....and Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin from the 70's.....and they were considered 'classic' rock then, a scant ten years later.

So, yeah, I guess Nirvana IS 'classic' rock. Someone go get me a walker and dentures now.

On a related note, I was reading another blog and then mentioned how a local radio station had Gen X weekend, where they'd play music from each year of the 90's during a set period and only that music. And he said it just reminded him of how much current music sucks (and NO, this guy is NOT ancient like Uncle Polt, he's 24), as compared to the 90's. And it's true. music now DOES suck. It's all coporatized, and mixed and fiddled with to an inch of it's life.

What we need now is an injection of a new Nirvana! Someone to shake up the crappy status quo and give us real, GOOD music again, like Nirvana did in the early 90's!

POLT

Listening to "Don't Call Me Baby" by Madison Avenue

1 comment:

Bunny said...

Great. Now I have Quiet Riot in my head . . .