Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The edge of his gravestone, he's gone...

Over the summer, I went to the cemetary to visit dad's grave. I don't do that very much, I don't feel as if he's there. I feel closer to him around mom's house, or his shed in the back.

At any rate, while I was there I noticed these tombstones:




What the HELL are their relatives thinking??? I mean come ON! Is all that....junk really necessary? Flowers? Perfect. A small toy, favorite thing or reminder? Okay, maybe. I mean I put a hard boiled egg on my grandfather's grave every Easter, cause he loved making them and hiding them for us grandkids. But all THAT? REALLY?

I think all that says loads more about the people left behind rather than the person who passed away. Maybe like someone can't let go?

I don't mean to belittle or trample on how one expresses their grief, after all, we all grieve differently. But still, all's just a smidge overboard, don't you think?

POLT Listening to "Life Is Sweet" by The Chemical Brothers

You're simple, shallow, and a common whore...that's why we're soulmates! - Karen, Will & Grace

3 comments:

lime said...

it's way more than i would do. i'm more in the single hard boiled egg camp myself but it could be a cultural thing. i know when we lived in trinidad all saints day was basically grave decoration day. they'd repaint the stones and put flowers and decorations and all sorts of things like you see. given that all saints day was just a couple weeks ago it could be the families of these deceased people are from a culture that engages in such a practice. i do know trinidad isn't the only place where that's the yearly norm.

Bunny said...

Agreed

Anonymous said...

but it is a little much.

Onanite