Monday, November 10, 2008

I've been through similarities, it's not the first break i've had...

As I mentioned previous, I've been re-watching my DVD boxed sets of all 7 West Wing seasons, and I'm currently at the beginning of the final season. Season 7 is one that I didn't really enjoy because it concentrated quite a bit on the election.

But one very interesting thing I've noticed is the similarity between the West Wing election from 2006 and this year current presidential race. The West Wing election was between an older Republican senator from a Western state, who was a moderate and had been in the senate for years, and a Democratic Congressman who was much younger, a minority, less experienced (only having been in the house 6 years) from a large state. The Republican picks as his VP a hard right governor of a small state, and the Democratic candidate picks a much older party man with tons of experience in foreign policy.

The simliarities between Arnie Vinick/Ray Sullivan vs. Matthew Santos/Leo McGarry and John McCain/Sarah Palin vs Barack Obama/Joe Biden are really striking. The biggest difference is that in the West Wing the Democratic team was behind throughout the campaign until near they end when a huge event changes public opinion and propels them into the White House. As we all know, in 2008, the Democratic team was only behind for about two weeks, and never for more than 3 points.

It's almost eeire how clairvoyant about some of the things the West Wing writers were.

POLT Listening to "Mickey" by Toni Basil Oil: 62.30 (+.97); gas: 2.31 (-.02)

The most dangerous living being on the planet is now mere miles away from my soft, vulnerable guts! I don't mind saying...I'm about to soil my villain suit! - 52#46

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The West Wing, one of the best shows to come out of Hollywood in a long time, I loved it.

Onanite