Sunday, November 16, 2008

Head on down to washington, and I want you...

So last Sunday (yeah I KNOW it's been a week...a girl can get busy for a week and not have time to post in her blog, right?), A Local Celebrity Mr. David ParisPeking and I went to DC. We left his house about 9:00 in the morning. We stopped at McDonalds for breakfast (the breakfast of champions, dontcha know?), and then drove to the Metro.

The Metro deposited us on the streets of DC in good time. And luckily, right in front of us was a map detailing the musuems. We had decided to visit the Museum of American History....until we saw on the map that it was closed for remodeling. *SIGH* So then we decided to try the National Archives to see the Constitution. I led the way, and apparently there was some dirt on the back of my hand that I know DC like. We ended up at the National Art Gallery.

I brushed the dirt off the back of my hand and realized my mistake and then pointed out the way to the National Archives. On the way there, we dicovered this was under some kind of construction as well. So, knowing that the third time is the charm, we decided on the Air And Space Museum. This one was open and not under construction, so we walked all through it, both floors, all the exhibits (except for the flight simulator rides, cause neither of us wanted to be walking about DC feeling nauseous). As we left the museum, ALCMDPP suggestion visiting the Capitol itself. I thought was cool, as it's been like 17 years since I was actually in the Capitol building.

We walked over. It was a beautiful day, cool, with a breeze, but not hot or humid, or cloudy or rainy or any undesirable weather. And was amazed again at how far things actually are down there. It doesn't look like it would take but five minutes to get to the Capitol from where we were. It was, I think, a bit closer to twenty minutes.

They were preparing for the upcoming Inaugrual, and so parts of it were fenced off that were where they were building things. We went around the the East side of the building cause I thought we could perhaps get in there. Getting to that side, I found a cop and asked him about it, and he told me the Capitol is closed to visitors on Sundays, so that was out.

We walked over to some Senate office building and they had a general map of the Mall on it. So looking at that, we decided to walk to the White House, see it, and then continue on up Connecticut to DuPont. And when I say 'we' I mean me, cause someone else on the trip wanted to catch the Metro up there. On a beautiful day like that one. In a beautiful city MADE for walking. Pffft, I put the kibosh on that quite quickly. And we were off.

All the way up Pennsylvania Avenue, we were shadowed by this tour group. On Segueways. I shit you not! I have the photos to prove it. I was kinda irritated at them, cause really, do you honestly HAVE to take a tour of DC on THE preppiest invention ever known? Even more so than Starbucks? Puh-lease. I kept hoping one of them would slide on the leaves on the sidewalk and wipe out. That would have made the whole trip, could have gone home right then and there.

As we walked I pointed out some buildings I knew. When I mentioned the Warner Theater was close by, ALCMDPP made a beeline for it. Apparently, they have a "Walk Of Fame" similar to the one in Hollywood...albeit much smaller. And he told me Melissa Etheridge had a star there he wanted to see (see, ALCMDPP has an obsession with Ms. Etheridge...whether it's healthy or not, I'll leave up to the professionals). As we finally found it (after appearing, I'm certain, totally and completely touristy walking up and down the sidewalk checking out each star there), some homeless guy about ten feet off starting asking for a quarter. I ignored him, ALCMDPP got all freaked out. Well, not that much, but it disturbed him. Kinda threw him off his game. He wanted a photo of the star, but wouldn't get in the photo. *SIGH* More on this later.

After this, we walked by the north face of the White House, listened to a guy stand at the fence and yell through how 911 was all a George W. Bush conspiracy and how he needed to face up to it. We also discussed the heavily armed men standing at the games, their weapons visible, and the heavily armed men on the roof and in windows in neighboring, overlooking buildings, as well as all the heavily armed men in civilians clothes walking among us, their weapons unseen.

Having survived all that, we walked across Lafayette Square and started up Connecticut Avenue. When we actually reached DuPont Circle proper, it had been almost an exact hour from the time we left the Capitol.

As we were hungry, we made our way to the gay ghetto on 17th Street, and ate at Trio Restaurant. We ate on the patio, each of us having a thick, juicy, delicious burger, enjoying the beautiful day, while I'm sure I alone enjoyed our cute Hispanic waiter...although not in the way I would have liked to...wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no MORE. His recieved a nice tip, which may or may not have included my cellphone number.

Following this, we strolled over to the Lambda Rising bookstore, or as ALCMDPP called it "The Big Gay Bookstore". It was his first time there, and possibly to DuPont as well, so I forgave him. I shopped a bit, finding, with his help, a suitable batch of Christmas cards. I was unable to find anything else of interest. Well, some of the customers were of intersest, but they were not for sale. At least not that I assumed.

We stopped in a record store, ALCMDPP is all about music (being a music teacher and all), and then we went to the 1,000,000 Books bookstore on the Circle itself. He bought at least one thing there. Our shopping completed, we made our way back to the Metro, rode back to our stop, got in Miss Cleo and returned home, a fun day and filled errands behind us.

And contrary to what ALCMDPP said a few times during the day we did not fulfill his prophecy of "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm lost in DC and I'm gonna die."

If one is so interested, one may trace our route on the map below.



And now, the photos!


A postcard perfect photo of the Capitol, taken from the center of the Mall.



A closer shot of the Capitol, with some Inaugration work nearest the building itself, a fence keeping us out, and a warning from the Capitol Police telling us that area is closed.



The north end of the Capitol, as we prepared to make our way towards Pennsylvania Avenue.



Mrs. ALCMDPP is apparently a big fan of the X-Files, so ALCMDPP got a photo of the FBI building where Maulder and Scully had their offices.



The Segueway tour group. Damn yuppies....



Apparently one photo of the FBI Building wouldn't be enough for the Missus, so he took one of a second entrance...which made me wonder how many cameras we were on and if we're now in some database somewhere for taking multiple photos of the FBI building.



One of my favorite restaurants in Toronto is the Elephant & Castle. I thought it was simply a local Toronto establishment, but apparently it's not, cause there's one on Pennsylvania Avenue!



Okay, there's dialogue with this photo:

HIM: There's Melissa's star. Take a picture of it.
ME: Why?
HIM: I want a picture of it. Take a picture.
HOMELESS GUY: Got a quarter, man?
ME: Okay, I'll take one, but get in the picture too.
HIM: No.
ME: C'mon, get on the ground next to it!
HIM: No.
ME: C'mon, sit next to it, or squat down next to it! Point to it!
HIM: No.
ME: Come ON! At least stand next to it.
HIM: *SIGH* Okay....
ME: And point to it!
HIM: No.
ME: POINT to it!
HIM: *HEAVY SIGH* Fine.
HOMELESS GUY: Got a quarter?



And then, as requested, a photo of just the star itself.



The White House, with some of the inaugral preperations laying in front of it.

POLT Listening to "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1" by Pink Floyd

VCR's exist because most of us don't have the nerve to masturbate in movie theaters. - John Waters, Crackpot

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This had to be the awesome-est day ever! I'd love to see those buildings in person. You totally cracked me up with the line about being in the FBI database!

tornwordo said...

What a gorgeous day! I can't help but want to take a tour on a segway now.