Monday, May 11, 2009

Back in history, let's review the facts of eternity...

Star Trek: A Review



Okay, so I went to see the new Star Trek movie this past Saturday with A Local Celebrity: Mr. David ParisPeking (who's enthusiasm was a bit lackluster) and Ghostie (who's a freakin' loser cause he compared it to...*sigh* Star Wars, and said how it stole so much for Lucas.)

I'm gonna try to keep this spoiler free, and I'm not gonna go on and on and on about it, cause if you're not planning on seeing the movie, you're not gonna wanna see it because I liked it, and if you are planning on seeing the movie, well...go see it RIGHT NOW!

I frankly loved the movie. Most of all because it breathed new life into a tired old franchise. Took a stale premise and made it fresh and new again. It's like everything you loved about the last 40 years of Trek, but different. And it was done in such a simple, yet genius, way, that I'm surprised no one thought of it before now.

The cast was actually pretty damn good. You've got Chris Pine effortlessly being hotter and sexier than Shatner could ever hope to overact his way to. You got Sylar who WAS Spock. You got Harold (from Harold & Kumar) just awesome as a swashbuckling Sulu. You got Sean (from Shaun Of The Dead) as a hilarious Scotty. You got some guy playing the new Bones who looks strangely like Gary Mitchell from the orginial Trek pilot. You got that cute lil kid playing Chekov who I've seen in a few different movies, none of which I can remember now. And you got some black chick playing Uhura all sexy like.

What I liked most about the movie was that it was FUN! Fun AND exciting! the humor all seemed natural, and the special effects were awesome, without overpowering the movie.

Yeah, there were some plot holes in it, but none so gaping as to ruin it. And frankly, I'm just excited for the future of Star Trek now. And I want to see it again. In the theater. And if I'm willing to fork over my $8 bucks TWICE, well, that's the highest review I can give it.

POLT Listening to "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega

"This is absolute shite." "Comics, mate. They rot your brain." - the Butcher, The Boys #2

5 comments:

Lisa said...

BEST movie EVER!

john said...

Thank you for avoiding the spoilers! I'm seeing it tomorrow and cannot wait!

Anonymous said...

What John said. I'll have to wait a week or so. I saw Wolverine this past weekend. I also have to squeeze in Terminator this month. So many movies, so little time :)

imom said...

I plan to take my dad to see this for his birthday. He was a huge Trek fan back in the day. I haven't been so excited for a movie in a long time!

john said...

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!

It was AWESOME!!! SOO much I want to say, but won't spoil here...