Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Wait for you, to join the group...

I saw online today that Maine's governor signed into law a bill allowing gays to marry. Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, and now Maine. And let's not forget that New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York all have legislation pending too allow gays to marry as well (although I think NJ has civil unions right now, if I'm not wrong).

Maine governor, John Baldacci, had this to say: ."There are good, earnest and honest people on both sides of the question. In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions. I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."

He added, "Article I in the Maine Constitution states that 'no person shall be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law, nor be denied the equal protection of the laws, nor be denied the enjoyment of that person's civil rights or be discriminated against.'"

And that, my friends, is the bottom line: It's all about equal protection under the law. If you, as a straight person, have the right to marry who you love, then I, as a gay person, have the right to marry the person who I love. That's it in a nutshell.

And that's why, in the end, our side will win, and the other side will be cast to the dustbin of history, with slaveholders, segregationist, and their ilk.



Video stolen from http://www.billinexile.com/.

POLT Listening to "I Beg Your Pardon" by Kon Kon

Leather pants, like Speedos, are a privilege, not a right. - GQ magazine

4 comments:

john said...

My only disappointment is that my state has not completed the New England block by passing a bill. Hopefully soon.

As a side note, I love this:

http://web.morons.org/feature/marriage.jsp#tehgay

Anonymous said...

John must be a fellow Rhode Islander.

Check my blog, I'm calling for us all to send an email per day to Speaker Murphy and Senate President Paiva-Weed. I even put a nice little mailto link in there.

john said...

I am and thank you! Done and done.

Anonymous said...

Right on! It is only a matter of time till the bigots die off.

Onanite