Wednesday, May 27, 2009

In your courts you'll find me...

Got a few thoughts on recent political stuff.

Firstly, Sonomayor’s nomination to the Supreme Court. My initial thought is, I don’t know anything about this choice, but I presume Obama and his people DO, and as I’ve been pleased with most of the decisions he’s made since he took office (and even during the campaign), I’ll trust him to have made the right decision this time as well.

My thoughts on the Republican response to her is that they’d be fools to seriously oppose her. Oh, the far right wingnut base wants a filibuster of her because a) they have to opposed absolutely ANYthing Obama does or proposes because that’s what they do (he could have appointed Jesus Christ himself to the SCOTUS, and Boss Limbaugh would find reasons to oppose him…and the party would follow him in lockstep like lemmings) and b) they are after all fools.

But opposing her is a waste of time. Sen. Collins from ME, a Republican, has already complimented Obama on the selection, so there’s the 60th vote, even if somehow Pawlenty uphold Franken’s getting into the Senate long enough to keep him from voting for cloture on a potential filibuster. Sonomayor’s going to sail through the process and be confirmed easily, barring any new information like she screws sheep in her off ours, or has a hobby of biting the heads off babies.

Opposing her is also a waste because she’s replacing a solid left leaning judge. Her being on the bench will not change the makeup of the court in ideological terms. Should Scalia or Thomas vacate the court during Obama's term (God willing), then THAT would be the nominee for the Republicans to fight tooth and nail over. Kinda like when Bush appointed wingnut Alito to replace moderate O'Conner, and how that changed the balance of the court.

I think the best thing they could do would be to put a up a token protest over her, but let it pass and wait for bigger fish. They have to learn to pick their battles. And they've been nothing but the Part Of NO since the beginning of the year, and they don't need to cement it any further by filibustering this.

I don't think, however, they'll listen to me. In fact, I HOPE they don't. Cause the bigger idiots they make out of themselves, the better off it is for the Democratic party.

Secondly, about the California Supreme Court's decision on Prop 8. In a nutshell, the court decided not to overturn Prop 8, but to allow the 18000 gay marriages performed before it's passage to remain. I don't have all the details on it, but I must say, in my opinion, both decisions were correctly decided. It's not the way I WANTED them decided, but in my mind, it's the only way it could be decided.

Prop 8 changed the California Constitution to make discrimination legal against gay and lesbian citizens of the state. I think that's wrong, but a majority of those who voted wanted it that way. And since that was legal now, the Cal. Supreme Court had no choice but to allow it to stand, since it's now the law of the state, right or wrong. But, since it's NOT retroactive, they were right to let the already preformed marriages stand.

In the end I think the point's moot. If not next year, certain in 2012, there will be another ballot initiative to overturn Prop 8 and allowed gay marriage. And it will pass, if not in 2010 or 2012, it WILL pass within the next ten years. I mean look back 10 years to 1999: not a single state allowed gay marriage, now there are 5, with more forthcoming. In fact, 10 years ago, gay sex was illegal in many states, that's since been overturning.

The bigots and wingnuts can fight all the like, but they're fighting a rising tide. Gay marriage WILL be the law of the land, the WHOLE land, in my lifetime. Of that I have no doubt. Simply because a case about this will reach the US Supreme Court in that time, and when Scalia and Thomas are no more that unfortunate footnotes in history, a more enlightened, open minded, less discriminatory Court (hopefully with three or four more Obama appointees) will have the case. And then the Equal Protection clause of the US Constitution will be enforced for ALL citizens concerning marriage, and not just some.

POLT Listening to "Boogie Shoes" by K.C. And The Sunshine Band

The last thing I need is some young punk frolicking in my nethers. - Livonia, Malcolm In The Middle

5 comments:

Ryan said...

The Prop 8 ruling has two silver linings. First, the judges interpreted Prop 8 so narrowly that all it does is prohibit the use of the word marriage to describe the legal union of two members of the same sex. If we call it mawiage like the bishop from The Princess Bride, Prop 8 has no effect. Second, the three judges who dissented before joined the previous decision's core principle that the state cannot discriminate against gays and lesbians (with the new exception of the name marriage).

This was probably the wise decision. It guts Prop 8 without creating a backlash that would make overturning Prop 8 harder next year.

john said...

I give you credit Polt, I have been completely outraged and disappointed with this decision. For me, it all comes down to the fact that a constitution is supposed to grant freedoms, not take them away.

I'm so insulted by the "marriage protection" terminology. 1800 gay couples got married and you know what, my marriage is fine and didn't need protecting. It is absolutely ridiculous.

While I applaud your patience and even comments about this issue, I say boo California, boo. You got it wrong. I'll say it until I die or until people start to realize it: love is love, who give a shit about the plumbing.

Polt said...

john, I'm outraged by Prop8 itself. I simply believe the Justices have to follow the law as embodied in the Constitution. I felt their hands were tied. Although Ryan has a very good point in that this sets a very strong foundation for overturning Prop8 itself.

HUGS...

john said...

You both make excellent points and are hopefully correct. I was so disgusted, I couldn't really bring myself to read up on it more than I did, which was very little after I saw that they let it stay.

Anonymous said...

You are right Polt, this is just a little setback. California will have gay marriage in a few years. We just have to keep fighting.

Onanite