Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Bits-N-Pieces

Yesterday, Ghostie came over in the afternoon and we dived into the middle bedroom/library. We took all the boxes out of it, moved the shelves to where I wanted them, and then brought the boxes back in one at a time and unloaded them. We went through at minimum 20 boxes of books, magazines, and graphic novels. But at least everything's up on the shelves. They're not where I want them, the organizing of them is still forthcoming, but at least one can move about the room and see what I have on the shelves.
**************************************
You may or not recall my friend Johnnie. I've known him for 12 years, he used to write the Testicular Tuesdays column here on the Palace (just search for it in the box up in the upper left if you're interested), he's a grad student in Philly pursuing his PhD, and he's just an all around great guy and cool friend.

Anyway, he called me last night and we chatted. He told me this past March he got back into Magic the Gathering, and has apparently become quite good at it. He went to Tampa recently to play in some kinda contest, a Grand Prix, he called it? I don't know, at any rate, he ended up coming in third out of a couple hundred players. That was good enough to win him $1500 and get him an invite to the Nationals in San Diego next year. (Who knew Magic The Gathering even HAD Nationals?) And he's rated 28th in North America.

I've never played the game, but I think this is kinda impressive nonetheless. And there's even an article about him online HERE. (he's looking pretty scruffy in the picture cause he doesn't shave alot now, and rest assured I harrassed him about that pretty mercilessly) Again, this might mean more to me if I played the game, but being ranked 28th in ANYTHING in North America seems a bit noteworthy, no?
******************************************
Oh. My. God! I am SO there!



I mean, hot, shirtless, Asian with a hairthing! How could I NOT be? And this proves Ninjas rule, cause come on, Pirate Assassin would jsut be silly.

POLT Listening to the Falcons - Saints football game

My shellphone isn't working, call me on my clam line. - Carson, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

4 comments:

FunWithGrindr said...

Okay the best line in that entire article about Johnnie:

"Soon I was running a mono-red deck and powering my Fireballs with 'Tron lands—with no way to search for them of course. My biggest accomplishment was taking down my buddie's Kismet-Stasis-Chronatog deck with Curse of Marit Lage and Red Elemental Blasts."

I can't tell you how many times I've used that line at a bar.

Polt said...

I KNOW, man! That lines NEVER fails to get me some pootang. I think it's the "Curse Of Marit Lage" line. That always makes 'em wet and willing.

HUGS...

FunWithGrindr said...

Totally! And one mention of powering my Fireballs lands me a drink offer every time.

And it's all thanks to Magik. Who'da thought?

Tam said...

Wow, that is cool. I have no clue what the game is but hey, as you said, being 28th in the nation is pretty impressive and winning money doing it is even better. Mojo that he wins big in SD.