Thursday, November 26, 2009

Give thanks and breathe it in...

So I got to sleep in a bit this morning, that's always good. We have a big family reunion on Thanksgiving each year. We rent out a community center and about 50-60 of us show up. One relative figures out each year what each person should bring. Several someones bring turkeys, others bring mashed potatos, corn, sweet potatos, etc. That way, you only have to cook one thing, and not the whole meal. My assignment was to bring three packs of brown and serve rolls...yeah, that's tough.

The food was, as always, awesome. Then I spent a few hours marveling at how big some of my cousins are getting now, and also harrassing them. I enjoy the second part the most. But it's all good natured fun, they seem to enjoy it. They harass back, somewhat, but I'm much MUCH more experienced at it. Things like I convinced my one cousin his middle name was actually Allen and not Michael, and I kept trying to steal the cherries out of one of my cousin's fruit salad. That sorta stuff.

Afterwards, I showed my house to two cousins and their families, one who lives in Baltimore, the other in Hershey; this was the first time they were back since I moved in. Then, I settled in to watch the Dallas Cowboys win thier game. YAY. 8-3 is an awesome feeling.

And while I did so, I did my yearly tradition and filled out all my Christmas cards. I won't be mailing them right away, but at least they're done. I prepared 52 of them! I had no idea I had that many people on my Christmas list! But what I think is really cool is that, outside of the general ara in which I live, I'm sending cards to West Virginia; Baltimore; the Harrisburg PA area; the State College PA area; the Reading area in PA; Manchester England; Minnesota; upstate NY; New York City; New Jersey; Los Angeles Cal; central Virginia; Michigan; Florida; Canada; Columbus Ohio; San Diego Cal; Long Island; and Philadelphia PA! It amazes me every year to think of how many people I know far and wide around the country and indeed to world.

Now, I'll watch a bit of the Giants-Broncos football game before going to bed. I have to work tomorrow, so no sleeping in for me then.

All in all, not a bad day...in fact, a pretty damn sweet day. I hope yours was good as well.

POLT Listening to the Giants-Broncos football game

"Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!" - Auric Goldfinger, Goldfinger

5 comments:

Ray Avito said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful my hangover is gone. I'm not thankful I left Michelle a message calling her husband cute. Oy, beer!

Michelle M. said...

Glad to hear you had a good time with the family. I'm sure your brown and serve rolls were fantastic.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Michelle M. said...

Ray - I think it made his day : ).

Polt said...

wha, wha, WHA? Ray and Michelle M and talking on the phone???? How AWESOME is that! I didn't even know they knew each other!

HUGS...

Michelle M. said...

No - on facebook*. But I believe that he lives in California, so maybe we'll meet up one day and blow your mind : ).

*You haven't friended each other yet?!