Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Teach the world to snuff the fires and the liars, hey...

This past week, I started and finished the book "Snuff". Corey was reading it and recommended it to me. SO when I finished the last Torchwood book, I started Snuff. It's written by Chuck Palahniuk. I've not read anything by him before, although Corey has raved about him before. I did see "Fight Club" but movies aren't always like the books. And Corey gave me a rough idea what the plot was, which intrigued me. But overall, I had no idea what to expect.

My opinion: I'm pretty apathetic about it. I mean, I can't rave about it, but I can't say I didn't like it either. Thus my ambivalence.

The writing style was...well, it kinda turned me off. I mean, it was told from 4 different perspectives of the same events. And each person was written in a different voice a different manner, so that was very well done. It was an easy read, it went quickly. I mean, it was less than 200 pages, in large-ish print. And the situation itself was...unique to say the least. And there were three very big surprises at the end that I didn't see coming. Oh, two of them, I figured out about three sentences before they were revealed, but all three of them caught me unawares. It wasn't something that I saw coming from two chapters ahead. And I love it when that sort of thing happens.

But still...I don't know. Overall, I'm just really rather...meh about it all. If someone's interested in reading it, I'd tell them to do it, they'll at least read about something new and unique. But I can't really recommend it in general.

POLT Listening to "Creep" by Radiohead

Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They just made a bad life choice. - Marge, The Simpsons

No comments: