Friday, October 06, 2006

Such pretty photos, worthy of your good side...

As promised, photos from the Toronto Trip #14, 2006!
(Part One: The Trip Up!)


This is Ag inside my car, the one that got us there and back. I named my car Cleo for the trip. Cleo, short for Cleopatra. And what better to transport the queen that is myself than a car fittingly named? (Plus, I just found out that TV huckster Miss Cleo from a few years back is a lesbian, so there's a gay angle too!)









So, we're 45 minute out, and I can't remember where I packed my meds. After pulling over and finding them, I heaved a sigh of relief!












And because I paniced us both over something this stupid, I got "The Look" from Auntie Ag. This is actually a mild version of it. "The Look" has been known to make grown men cry, babies stop crying in mid-scream, household pets to whimper and run away and even curdle milk. This would not be the last "The Look" that was given this weekend.







We had my iPod plugged in the entire trip. This is me singing, with appropriate hand gestures (hey, I'm a fag, wht do you expect from me?) to either Twist And Shout by the Beatles, or Rock Lobsters by the B-52's. I can't recall.










This is our approach to the Pennsylvania Turnpike.













Once on the turnpike, we hit our first rest stop, the only one on the turnpike itself. Photo was taken from within Cleo, cause it was raining a bit, but future photos would have a different theme.











Our next regularly scheduled stop is always at Snappy's, this little convience store at Bald Eagle PA, basically in the middle of nowhere. But it's a nice place to use the restroom and buy a bottle of water and package of meat and processed cheese product. Mmmm, nutriciousness abounds! Not Auntie Ag and Cleo in the foreground.








Our next scheduled stop is at the Sheetz in Ridgeway, again a place to use the facilites, get water and snacks. And again, you can see Auntie Ag and the back of Cleo.











We pass through many small pleasant towns on our trip: Phillipsburg, Ridgeway, Elliotville, Springville, Clearfield. And then there's Johnsonburg, which we've nicknamed "Stinky Town", cause Weyerhauser has a paper making plant there. It's basically ALL that's in the town. And if you've ever been near a paper making plant, you know why we call it that. This is the approach to the town, with the Weyerhauser plant belching the smoke into the air.





As we get closer to Bradford, where we spend our first night, we pass through this National Forest. It's quite a beautiful ride, especially now, witht he leaves changing and all.











This is where we spent our nights in Bradford PA, at the Comfort Inn. And yes, continuing with my theme, Miss Cleo is in the photo as well.













I love the Comfort Inn, as opposed to the Best Western right across the street, cause it's got better water pressure, and a larger bathtub/shower area, and of course, it has PURPLE curtains...so how can i NOT like it better?









Each night that we're in Bradford, we eat at the Beefeaters Restaurant there! Damn fine food. Big, juicy, thick steaks, wonderful atmosphere, it was originally built and served as a library for many years, the library theme still carries on in the restaurant. But the food, oh...one of the things we look forward to on our Toronto trips.








The other thing we look forward to in Bradford is breakfast as the European Pastry Shop. That's it behind Auntie Ag with all the flags flying. Good homecooked food, at cheap prices. And of course, that's Miss Cleo in the foreground.









A bit later, Auntie Ag reminded me to take my meds...which resulted in another pulling over and search for the meds. (oh shut up, I had other things on my mind).











Since I found them relatively easily, this did not result in another "The Look" from her, although I did later get Auntie Ag flailing away on her air guitar.












Next, was our last regularly scheduled stop in the USA: the Wal-Mart in Springville NY. Oh yeah, we know how to travel. It's a rest stop, and fill up on water and snacks. And it's the place to get our passports out and to Ag, who is responsible for them, as well as the few tolls we have. And once more, I ensured Miss Cleo was included.







We cross the border at Buffalo NY. There's a bridge across the river. In the center are three flags: a USA one, next to a UN one, next to a Canadian one. This is a photo of the three of them, as we prepare to leave one country, go through no-mans-land, and enter Canada.

When it snows, I wonder who clears off the UN portion of the bridge....






This is across the bridge, as we prepare to go through customs, and enter, finally, Canada!













Once in Canada, we're on the QEW which we take all the way to Toronto. It's something like 160-some km (silly Canadians and thier Metric system). On the way, we have one designated stop, a rest area at exit 75 (or so). restrooms, food, and such await us here. And Miss Cleo waits outside for us.








Returning once more to Miss Cleo, Auntie Ag takes over the driving reins. This allows me a bit of rest, since I drove from Bradford, and allows me to stare at all the cute guys on Yonge Street as we drive up it towards our hotel, leaving streaks of spittle much like a dog does on a car window.

On the way in, we hit some traffic. It wasn't a really all that bad, cause we never stopped moving, we just went really slow. And what did I think of the slow traffic?



Oh yeah, I just LOVED it.

To no end....


But our frustrations with the traffic situation, and the intermittent rain (and probably Ag's frustation with my constant off key singing), faded, because the longer we went, the closer we got!





ANd then, FINALLY, we saw it: the CN Tower! This is always a period of great excitment and rejoicing in the car, cause we know we're almost there! WE just love watching the Tower get closer...










....and closer....















...and closer, until we finally pass under it (which traffic congestion and lack of a sun roof in the car, prevented me from taking a photo of).











Once we get off the highway, we turn onto Yonge Street. This is the view, looking north. We both LOVE this view, as it means we're officially here!












Once in our hotel room, I snapped a photo of the Tower! And it was quite a nice view!













And FINALLY...YAYA! Uncle Polt and Auntie Ag have made it once more to Toronto! Everyone celebrate and rejoice! WHoo-Hooo!











(the end of Part One. Part Two to follow...depending on how easily Blogger lets me post the photos!)

POLT = listening to "Dancing Queen" by ABBA

"There's something I don't understand about Social Security." "Then you could be a member of Congress." - Tobey Zeigler, The West Wing

1 comment:

Bloooog said...

Oh the misadventures of Polt and Aunt Ag, love it! And purple curtains really do make or break a hotel don't they? Too funny! 2;^))