Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Take it to the runway (Part 9)...

It's time once again for...


A Project Runway Rundown from a gay man's and a straight man's perspectives

What's Your Sign

Dave S.: This week it was all about designing an avant garde outfit with an astrological sign in mind. Awesome. I can already sense the tension in the air.
Polt: The previous losers are all back!!! Tension's thick in the air like testosterone in a lockerroom. Gotta watch out for those brigdes people burned.

And let me just add, Daniel, Terri, Jerell, and Suede are ALL Sagittarians, just like me! Although, frankly, I'm not sure I want to be paired in the same group as any of them...

And, boy, was there tension. But only with one coupling.
It just make you wonder if the choices actually WERE random? I mean, could the producers have hoped for a better pairing than Keith and Terri?

Here's the teams:
Korto & Kelli -- Aquarius
Kenley & Wesley -- Aquarius
Suede & Jerry -- Libra
Joe & Daniel -- Aries
Blayne & Stella -- Libra
Leanne & Emily -- Scorpio
Terri & Keith -- Leo

Hm. I wonder which of the teams is going to encounter the most confict? (he asked sarcastically) Could it be the two people who work well with no one? Yeah. Terri & Keith had sparks flying immediately. Right away, she started treating him like a fifth wheel. My thought early on: Terri's not going to be successful if she doesn't have a better working attitude with Keith. C'mon, treat my poor eliminated boy with at least a *little* respect. Terri: "Maybe he could count the pins that fall on the floor." Psh. Horrible.
I was NOT down with all of Terri's dissing of Keith. I mean, she ignores his help, tells him she doesn't need him to do anything and then gets all pissy and whiney when confonted about it by Tim AND the judges! She, like Kenley, always did have a rather high opinion of herself and her talent.

In Keith's own words: "What a fucking nightmare." You got that right, brother.
Amen.
At one point, Terri complains that she's "working alone." News flash for you, sister: You're working alone because you're choosing to.
Oh, and Kenley, just FYI, it's not "being fun," it's being arrogant. Shape up and get smart.

Just a few other things I noticed:
I think we heard more from Jerry this one episode than all the previous ones...course I know he got Aufed the first episode, but still...
Jerell has a BAD, horrid fabric choice!
I am NOT diggin Leannimal's exo-skeleton thingee.
What the HELL is Kenley doing? Those sleeves? The clashing fabrics? Well, Wesley got it all figured out, that's why he's not saying anything, he ain't going down again when Ship Kenley sinks.
Tim: Good synergy between Terri & Keith. .....crickets....total silence.... LOVED IT!
And it took until 9:35 for Suede to finally refer to himself in the third person. But damn he sure made up for it on the Runway. How pretentious. I'm glad Kors called him out on it...although not to his face. Someone needs to tell Suede to stop called Suede Suede. Seriously.

Polt! You got your bare-chested Wesley! (well, not that he has much of a chest to show off, but hey...) Woohoo for Polt! :-)
And YES! I believe I actually cheered out loud when they showed it! It's even more obvious to me now that he was kicked off WAY too early! I mean, the eye candy quotient was off the CHART with just him there! *SIGH* what might have been...

Okay, so not only do we find out that there are going to be *two* designers eliminated, but that the winner is going to be chosen by (drum roll, please)...designers from previous seasons! Very cool.
I don't think I like either of these things. I don't like two going at the same time, and I was underimpressed with the designers. I mean, what the HELL is Daniel thinking with that stupid Peggy Fleming-esque haircut???? Shouldn't he have a better hairstyle than THAT...I mean he IS gay, right? And the other designers...not overly impressed with the ones that were there.

So they all meet up at some place, but I don't remember what it's called. One of those star-watching things. Help me out here, Polt. Anyway, the models in their dresses are shown off in a party setting so the previous Project Runway designers can take a good look at them. Kenley is arguing with Heidi! What the hell?! Kenley shut up for a second and *listen*. She gets into a friendly argument with her about boob height. Seriously. Heidi Klum and Kenley are arguing boobs. It was priceless. I know you got 'em, Kenley, but I have a feeling that Heidi knows more about fashioning around small breasts than you do. I'm just sayin'.
Heidi didn't get Kenley's boobs or Blayne's idea....and neither did I.

And OH, for one last time...Stella's Hammering Studs!!!!

So here's the runway rundown:

Blayne: Ugh! Omigosh, uglier than mange on a poodle. Yuck.
No way! It has nothing to do with Libra, and just looks amateurish.
Kenley: Costume! Ugly ugly ugly. Kinda looks like a cartoon.
Aquarius? HUH? I see the outline of a cartoon character when he goes through a wall. And the conflicting fabrics... The whole thing is just stupid and ugly.
Terri: Okay. The red is a bit, I don't know...plastic? And weirdly shiny.
Not bad. Definitely better withOUT the collar...but not very avant garde.
Korto: Awesome. Totally Aquarius.
It's a nice look, very Aquarius.
Joe: Beautiful! Great flow. I'm really surprised.
I can see the flames, yes, but I don't really see Aries, the ram. Still a nice dress.
Jerrell: Not bad. It's elegant. Nice.
Other than the arrow in her hair I see no Sagittarius. Not sure if I like it or not.
Leanne: Interesting. Very different. The shadow on the face is cool.
I don't get the Scorpio from it. I don't think I like this one.
Suede: Nice flow. Looks beautiful against the skin of the model.
I don't like it. I see what he was going for...but I don't think he reached it.

I choose Blayne and Kenley to be out, with Terri a very close third.
I choose Joe as the winner.
My choice: Blayne and Kenley easy outs, and as for the winner...I wasn't really impressed with ANY of the dresses, actually. I guess if I had to choose, it'd be Korto, cause I could definitely see Aquarius in it.

Top Four: Korto, Joe, Jerrel, and Leanne (whew -- I was worried about her this time around).
Bottom Four: Blayne, Kenley, Suede, and Terri.

Winner: Jerrel. What the fuck? No no no. Joe's was five times better than his.
HUH???? Yeah, I question this one too. I thought his could have been in the bottom. None of them really impressed me anyway, but of the four, Jerell's was the least inspired. That's what you get with the previous year's designers.
Out: Blayne and Terri. (damn. Kenley survived *again*...)
Man, did the Judges miss it AGAIN! Terri's wasn't very avant garde, this is true, but for God's sake, you could at least see Leo in it. kenley's? Stupid, ugly, incoherent. I think the producers are keeping her on to keep the drama going.

Okay, Terri, you blew it. You blew it because you had negative preconceived notions about Keith instead of choosing to work with him. In Tim's words, he's innovative -- use him. Keith is tough to work with, for sure, but dammit, put your pride away and deal with him as a collaborator rather than an annoyance. To be honest, I don't think she would've worked well with anyone other than someone who's only known English words were "yes, ma'am." You're from my city and I would've liked to see someone from here win, but Kelli is *far* better than you. And Kelli's opened her own shop here in Columbus -- not New York -- which I think is kick-ass.
I don't think Terri's was the worst, but I'm not sad to see HER go.




Next week: Special ladies, sexy teacher dresses, and NINAGARCIA has problems.

POLT Listening to "City Of Delusion" by Muse

I am what I am, and what I am, needs no excuses! - I Am What I Am

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I was glad to see a little more of Wesley. I thought he was kicked out too soon.

I was happy to get Terri go. I've had a target on her back since she was mean to Korto a few episodes back. She hadn't redeemed herself since then, and her treatment of Keith in this episode sealed my desire to never see her again. Maybe she will be missing from the reunion episode.

Blayne's design was a mess. It's up there with Stella's trash bag dress. While I didn't have any particular desire to see him out soon, I also didn't have any desire to see him go to Bryant Park.

Joe and Kenley are left on my hit list, both being mean and arrogant without the talent to cover it.

My final three are Leanne, Korto, and Jerell with the competition being between Leanne and Korto. I chose Jerell over Suede because he is a more interesting designer, has no annoying affectations, and is nicer eye candy.

Anonymous said...

My initial thought watching the opening of the episode was "I hope Leanne is going home." That quickly went to "I hope Terri gets Stella", but I was pleased she had to deal with Keith (which is all on her. He appeared to try. Terri behaved poorly.).

Midway through I was convinced Terri and Kenley needed to go home. When I saw the outfits however, it was clear at least Blayne was going.

I agree with Jerel wining, I did like his best (if not the arrow). I was really bummed that Kenley stayed, she is acting like a total c-bomb. I was thrilled Terri went home, she was unprofessional. I have to admit, I was a little sad to see Blayne go home, he grew on me a little, but that outfit was completely wrong.

I think Ryan may be right: Korto, Leanne and Jerell will be the final 3. Suede isn't there yet and neither is Joe.

Dave S.: How much of a dream team was Emily and Leanne? Talk about eye candy!