Sunday, September 21, 2008

We've found a gentleman caller, who goes by the name...

Mama Polt had a gentleman caller last night. It's a guy from her church. He's 75 (she's 65), he lost his wife 10 years ago to brain cancer. They met this past week in Wal-Mart and talked a bit, and he asked if she wanted to get something to eat. So they went to Shoney's.

She asked me if I thought it was too soon. I asked if she thought it was too soon, and when she said no, I said I didn't think so either. But it really only matters what she thought.

She told me, and him, that she was NOT ready for any kind of dating, but she was fine with going to eat or the movies, or whatver. And that's how I feel. I mean, she has several girlfriends, and relatives, and such that she goes to eat with and movies, etc, etc, etc. To me, this is no different.

I gotta tell you, though, I am not ready for Mama Polt to be dating. I mean, she started dating dad in, I think 1958. And she's not been on a date with anyone since their marriage in 1963. That means she hasn't dated in 45 years.

I don't think I could have the 'condom' talk with my mother, ya know? Did they even HAVE condoms back then? Not that she would have used them. Oh I'm certain my parents didn't have sex before marriage. Cause if they had, my grandfather would have kicked HER ass, cut off HIS balls, and sent HER to a convent...and we're not even Catholic.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty protective and possesive of my mother, especially now. And I'm not sure I'm ready to have another man in the picture...in that way. Luckily, it's not an issue...yet. But she's a funny, fun, attractive, pleasant, caring woman...I gotta figure eventually, some guy's gonna come along wanting to date her...and I don't know how I'll handle that.

But that's for later. Right now, I'm just glad she's having a good time.

POLT Listening to the Steelers-Eagles game

What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody else asks to see 'em? - Calvin & Hobbes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mama Polt needs to consider this guys age, she really doesn't want to go through another death of someone close and this guy is 75.

Onanite

Anonymous said...

My grandfather married someone else about six months after the death of my grandfather. He went back to his old town to find someone specifically to marry...not date. It was very difficult for my mom and her siblings. I think my grandfather just didn't want to be alone. He found someone about ten years younger than him so he knew she would outlive him. Even though he is now gone she remains a part of the family.

Not exactly the same deal as Mama Polt, but it sounds like she's taking it the smart way. I think she'll do what feels right to her and I know you'll support her as you always do.

Anonymous said...

My now deceased grandmother had a relationship with her next door neighbor of all people. But good for her, she'd mourned the death of my grandfather for almost a decade before opening up the possibility. It's only a shame she waited so long.

Then there's my father who has had two wives die of various forms of cancer, on of those my mother.

Shortly after the death of his second wife who was also a great woman, he married again.

Of course he frequently gripes about #3 wife. I told him he got two good wives and his streak of luck had to end at some point.

He's actually considering snowbirding it, spending six months up here in RI and then six in FL.

My relationship with my father is, well, sort of strained because we exist on totally separate planes of existence so I'm not sure having him local again would be such a good thing.

But I did tell him that perhaps being alone wouldn't be such a bad thing for him. I think he's starting to see the light on that.

And I'm also intrigued as to what effect I as his atheist son would have on his errant piety.