Thursday, September 24, 2009

Let me pray to keep you from, the perils that will surely come...

Had a pleasant surprise today. I took off work early to come home and do some packing (which was quite pleasant, but not the surprise) and it wasn't long until I got a call from A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking. Seems the missus had taken the kids and gone somewhere, so he was in swinger bachelor mode, so what did he do? Called me, said he could stop by, we could move some boxes, and then get something to eat. And as if I'm gonna turn that down. So that's what happened. Not only did I get a little bit of stuff moved, but I had good food and better conversation.

Also, we had our first injury at the new house. This afternoon, mom was cleaning out the kitchen cupboards, and there was a shard of glass in there that she didn't know about and when she pulled her hand back, it slit her wrists. Which is bad, but of course, when she called me, all she said was, "Polt, I'm down at the house, and I've slit my wrist."

!!!!!!!

And I'm like, "WHAT????" And then, ONLY then, does she tell the full story. And I asked if she was okay, and she said, "Yeah, I just put a bandaid on it and kept going." So while she did in fact slit her wrist, it appears it's not life threatening. *SIGH*

Yesterday, the guy came to look at putting in the driveway. I have an off street parking area, but it's right behind the house, and turning into it is an almost 90 degree angle kind of thing, and there's a wall with a fence directly opposite the parking area. In my mom's car (a Jetta), I have no problem, but in my larger car (a Chyrsler Concorde) its a bit of a task. And so I decided I'd just have a driveway put in in my yard. My yard is adjacent to the alley, and just wide enough to pull a car into. And there's no wall or fence across the alley there.

So he came yesterday, looked at it, gave us the quote, then asked when we wanted it done. Mom said tomorrow, and we laughed. But he said he could do it tomorrow (today). He said business is REALLY slow and he's doing day to day work anyway, and he has an opening tomorrow. So, today, he came and did it.

He made it much wider than I had showed him to. I could probably get two small cars in there side by side. As it is, I can pull in diagonally and park in it that way. So it's okay he made it larger. Also, that means there's that much less grass that I have to worry about, since I'm allergic to grass and cannot mow it myself.

And then tomorrow, the electrician's coming to look at putting up the ceiling fans and some other stuff. And we have a guy coming to fix an attic stair that broke and do a few other small things. So assuming all this happens as planned, all I have to wait on is the guy to come and put the replacement windows in the three windows I want them in, and then everything will be done as I want it to be. At least for now. Well, no, that's not true, there's a large tree in the backyard I was taken down, and we're just waiting for that guy to call back about it. But other than that, once the 'big move' is over Monday, I should be all set to go.

Until something else happens. Oh, the uncertainty and perils of home ownership. (and yeah, I know already established homeowners, I ain't seen nothing yet!)

POLT Listening to "Can't Get There From Here" By R.E.M.

Some boys don't just come out of the closet, they explode! - Debbie, Queer As Folk

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No pictures of the concrete yard??

Your mom seriously cracks me up. I would have reacted just like you though.

Anonymous said...

Hope mama Polt is ok. Oh the joys of having your own place. You can make all the decisions yourself, and pay for it yourself. :)

Tam said...

My god, I'm exhausted just reading all that stuff. Glad your Mom is okay but sheesh, don't give people heart attacks like that. LOL

john said...

Mamma Polt is the BEST! I assume it was complete dead pan delivery: "Polt, I've slit my wrist, pass the peas."

I too, am allergic to grass, but have to mow it about once a week. I wear a respirator and make a scary sight for the neighborhood kids.

hoteltuesday said...

Ack! I cringed reading that bit about your mother. Hope she heals quickly (and people don't assume she's suicidal when they see the band-aid on her wrist...)