Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Unconscious relaxation, what a pleasant nightmare...

As I MAY have mentioned before, I've been a smidge stressed as of late. When I get stressed, I try to think of something relaxing, think of a pleasant thought to calm me. In other words, to go to my happy place. And when I need relaxation and stress relief, one thing pops into my head.

1970's TV sitcoms! Yeah baby!

Okay, now for the babies among us (I'm looking at you Sassy josh, Enrickyricardo, and perhaps even A Local Celebrity, Mr. David Parispeking), these shows probably mean nothing to you, and in fact, you may not have even heard of some of them. But people of a 'certain age', like myself, will remember these and perhaps, have fond memories of them.

So when I need to relax, and I need to think of 1970's TV sitcoms, what comes first to mind is...Rhoda. Ah, yes, Rhoda. Running through the streets in her wedding dress, her sister Brenda and mother Ida, her marriage to and divorce from Joe, Cartlon the doorman, her apartment...all of it.


I didn't see them during initial airing, or rather I might have and just don't remember them well, because I wasn't even ten years old yet. However, I fell in love with the show thanks to reruns. I watched every episode at least once. And somehow I can not get enough of it. I'm just glad that I don't have a mother like she did.

At any rate, I just love it and everytime I think of it, I just smile. And thusly, despite all the stress I'm having lately, I'm spending a lot of time in a NYC highrise, with a not-so-young Jewish woman, wearing a scarf on her head, and trying to get by in life. It's like she's a kindred spirit...except for being in NYC, and the highrise, and Jewish, and woman, and scarf on my head...other than that, exact twins.

POLT Listening to "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow

I hope you catch crabs wherever you go Thursday night and spend Friday itcheing yourself silly. - Dale, dcgaysofourlives

3 comments:

FDot said...

Huh. I always figured you as more of a Bonnie Franklin type.

Anonymous said...

Yep, some of those shows are great. You can't get away with some of that humor now.

Michelle M. said...

Hmmmm... I'm picturing you as the man hungry Florence Jean Castleberry type.