Thursday, December 24, 2009

Gonna make some cash with that avatar...

Saw Avatar last night. In 3D. My review:



Visually, the movie is stunning. The world that they create is breathtaking. And viewing it in 3D is a marvel. There was more than once when a little creature floated in front of my face, or a tree branch swung out or some dirt or something flew by, that I almost wanted to brush it out of the way with my hand. It truly felt like it was in front of me directly, and not on the screen. It was truly an amazing film to watch.

However....

The story was standard Hollywood stuff. I've seen this movie's plot done before. Quite a few of the characters were cliches. And there were several things that were totally and completely predicatable so as to ruin them when they actually happened. The thrill was gone, cause we already knew what was gonna happen. And there were some plotholes in it big enough to fly a futuristic helicopter through.

Still I'm recommending it, just for the visuals alone. But only see it in 3D, I don't know if it'd be worth it otherwise. And the 3D does cost an additional $2.50, but it IS worth it. And plus you get these nifty poindexterish 3D glasses (a photo of yours truly wearing them right HERE) that they want you to 'recycle'...but since I had to pay additional money, I said screw it and kept them. Never know when I might need something like that again.

POLT Listening to "Mistletoe And Holly" by Frank Sinatra

There's a huge trust. I see it all the time when people come up to me and say, "I don't want you to let me down again." - George W. Bush

3 comments:

S said...

Happy Holidays Polty Pooooo!
I saw Avatar a couple of days ago too! I thought it was awesome, but I didnt see it in 3D. I have some really weird eyes and those 3D glasses are too dark for me....
I have to agree with your review, however, while it is standard Hollywood stuff, I believe we should keep cramming the obvious down the throats of those who just dont get it...
Stuff like, dont fuck with other people to get what you need, you greedy fucks.
Don't litter, be nice, don;t mess with Mother Earth, etc. One would think this stuff is obvious, but by the looks of things, apparently not. So I think it's ok to repeat those themes.
I really wanted to be a blue person too!
Cost 10. x 3 to see, worth every penny, don't you think?

Other than that, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and all that stuff.
Love
Susie

S said...

PS Yes I PROMISE it is good without 3D...plenty of lovely colors and effects and stuff!
Depends on what is happening with your vision, I guess!

Michelle M. said...

We went the other night and the crowds were too big. So we saw 2012 instead.

Too bad they didn't make them purple instead of blue...