Thursday, December 10, 2009

Keepin' alive family traditions, when he lied about intentions...

From the time I was born, from my earliest memories, every Christmas Eve, we’d go to my grandparent’s house. It was my grandparents, my mom and dad, me, my mom’s sister and brothers, their spouses and kids. Back in the 90’s we were having 17 people there.

We’d have a dinner meal, then us ‘kids’ (I’m the oldest, my cousin Faith is the youngest, 14 years younger than me, and there’s 7 of us total) would give gifts to the person who’s name we drew back in October. And the grandparents would give us each something as well.

It was fun, lots of laughing, joking, just having a good time being with each other. A holiday tradition.

Then, my grandfather got sick with cancer and died in 1998. And the next year, there was a falling out between my mom’s siblings, although mom herself stayed out of it. So there were separate Christmas celebrations for several years, but we were invited to both of them since we hadn’t chosen a side.

Then, in 2007, my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died. Before his death, all the various relatives were coming by to visit and were obviously saddened by the death. I think his death showed them all how stupid and silly they were being, so that Christmas, and last year’s and this year’s as well, the whole family will be together, although there will be about 30 of us now, with spouses and kids of the grandchildren (my generation).

And it’s all great that we’re all together, but we no longer do this on Christmas Eve. We do it on the Saturday night before Christmas, which this year will be a week before hand.

So in the last 8-10 years, I’ve had my own Christmas Eve traditions. In the evening, I turn on all the decorations, get something special to drink (some years, ice cold Pepsi, other years mug of hot chocolate or glass of Asti), I settle comfortably into the sofa and watch two shows. Firstly, I watch the Christmas episode of
My So-Called Life . It never EVER fails to make my cry like a baby. At the end, when Rickie, the gay kid who’s been kicked out on the streets, is found my Angela’s mother, who has never approved of him, and they see each other and then just hug. Oh, I’m getting teary right now even typing it. If you’ve seen it, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. If you haven’t, then shut up, don’t judge me.

And after that, I need a pick me up, so I watch
The Year Without A Santa Claus , which is by the way, THE best, most awesomeness Christmas TV special ever made. I sing along with nearly every song, and actually find myself laughing out loud I parts, even though I’ve seen it countless times.

And then, I got to bed, with visions of sugarplums in my head.

So what Christmas traditions do you have?


POLT Listening to "Winter Wonderland" by Bonfiglio

If you do not raise your eyes you will think you are the highest point. - Antonio Porchia

4 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Heat Miser and Snow Miser. The best!!

Don't you mean visions of sugarbuns?

Mark My Words said...

Thank you for sharing that. It made me think of my own family squabbles, and how small they really are. For me too, the true meaning of Christmas has always been a time to remember the important things in life, to set aside differences and love each other (if only for a moment, but hopefully longer).

I never saw those shows you mentioned, but will try and find them. I love a good cry once in a while too!

john said...

You are SO right! The Year Without A Santa Claus is the BEST!!

Ba-dump-ba-dump-ba-dump!
Ba-dump-ba-dump-ba-dump!

I'm Mr. Heat Miser, I'm Mr. Sun..

LOVE IT!

Tam said...

I've never seen A Year Without a Santa Claus. Do you still love me?

Usually on Christmas eve we order pizza (cause I'm not cooking two days in a row and usually have to work until noon) and we have chocolate fondu. My ex is always over. This year the kidlet is older and wants to make a bunch of appetizers for dinner rather than pizza so I'm good with that. I'm also off the 24th this year so I'll have more time to help her. We just watch TV, whatever is on the various Christmas channels and hang out and do not much of anything.

When I was young we went to my Great-Grandparents on the maternal side on Christmas night, after dinner. There must have been 25 people there and all of the girls (my generation) got a pair of pantyhose and all the boys got a small box of candy. Seems unfair now, but at the time the pantyhose were very grown-up and special. I still get the "feeling" of that place and how it felt with everyone just eating cookies and candy and the kids playing. But times change.