Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away....

So, the snow came. A lot of it. And as I predicted, the family Christmas, including the family photo, was canceled. Well, rescheduled, actually, until January 3rd. So maybe we just weren't meant to get the photo this particular year.

Today, I had set my alarm for 9:30. Mom called me about a half hour before. After the call, I got up threw on some clothes and went outside to shovel off the sidewalk. I don't have a large or long sidewalk, thankfully. Once I came back inside, I fooled around on the computer for a bit before getting all the winter clothes back on and heading up to mom's (thank goodness she lives close by). She had made chili and I went up to get some for lunch. Deliciousness.

On the way there, I got the full effect of a winter storm. I felt the cold, of course. But there was more. I could tell someone was doing laundry because I smelled the fabric softner from the dryer. I saw a couple, perhaps a man and wife, shovleing off thier sidewalk, and I heard them talking as well as their shovels scraping concrete. Somewhere, in a yard, I heard kids loudly, joyously laughing, perhaps building a snoman, or making snowangels, or chasing each other through the powder. As the few rare cars passed, their tires were muffled, as if they weren't really there, just an echo of a car that passed before. I could see my breath, especially as I climbed up the street on the hill. Everything was felt cold, everything looked bright and white, everything sounded subdued.

I love a winter storm.

Afterwards, went I got home, I shoveled the sidewalk again, even though it turned out a neighbor has used the snow blower on it, clearing off the sidewalk in the front of about four houses. I don't even know the guy's name, I've seen him a house over but never spoken to him. And after that I ended up taking a three hour nap. I finally took a shower when I got up.

Not, I intend on putting together something to eat and then watching Dallas lose again in December.

What a slow do-nothing day. How beautiful it looked, how relaxing it felt, and pleasant it was to have a day like this.

POLT Listening to "Heroes" by David Bowie

No one must know. If anyone finds out, I'd have to die, and Raj, I have the pills and I know how to swallow! - Christina, The Kids In The Hall

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day. Cheers.