Sunday, December 20, 2009

Smile at my excitement, the last time you called...

When i got up this morning, I expected to dig out Miss Cleo, visit mom for lunch, and hang out inside watching football all day. Oh, how wrong I could be.

Well the first parts were all correct. I reshoveled the sidewalk for the last time, spent 45 minutes shoveling out Miss Cleo, walked to moms, read the Sunday paper and had brunch, returned home, got shower, shaved, threw on my jammies, started two loads of laundry, settled in to watch football. All that was planned.

Then, about 1:00, A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking called me and said there was too much noise and asked if he could come over and watch football with me. Not what I intended but football with friends is always better than football alone.

About 3:30, we decided to go to Wal-Mart, we both a few items and then eat at Applebees. Wal-Mart is a madhouse, insanely crazy. I waited in line at the register longer than we both spent time shopping. Crazy. But after this we went to Applebees.

We placed our orders, waited an insane amount of time to get the appetizer. Just as it arrived, my phone rang. I didn't reconize the number but answered it anyway, as follows:

Polt: Hello?
Caller: Polt?
Polt: Yeah.
Caller: This is Carolyn (my aunt), are you okay?
Polt: ....um, yeah. Why?
Carolyn: There's ambulances and fire trucks all in front of your house.
Polt: WHAT?

Carolyn said she couldn't see what was going on because they wouldn't let her pull down the road, but she could see they were in front of my house. I told her I'd call mom, she has a monitor. Mom didn't answer at her house. She did answer her cell.

She said she was outside cleaning the sidewalk off and a neighbor just came over and said there was a fire call for an interior heat issue at the address that's the OTHER side of my house (I own half a house, we share an adjoining wall). I asked her if she could go see if there was any fire or anything. She said, "Well go outside and look!" I told her I wasn't home, I was out eating. I aksed her to go look and let me know what's going on.

I tried to eat while ALCMDPP did his best to keep things light and be supportive. I had visions of smoke damage, water damage through the walls, all kinds of stuff. My aunt called me back to tell me that she was at the house, she didn't see anything from the front, and she went around back and didn't see anything there either. And she could see anything going on on the other side, although there were fire trucks and ambulances there. And then she said she could see my mother making her way over so I told her to have mom call me.

Of course, she didn't. Several minutes went by. I felt better cause my aunt didn't see anything, but I was still a bit worried cause I wasn't hearing anything. So I finally gave in and called mom. She said she had just gotten in my kitchen and was taking her boots off and everything seemed okay. I told her to check all the rooms and the attic too and call me back.

Again, after much time of hearing nothing, I called her back. I was feeling even better, cause I figured if it was really bad, the firemen wouldn't have let her inside. So after a bit more time, I called her back again. She said there is nothing wrong with my side, and she talked to one of the firemen.

He told her the people on the other side of the house smelled something plastic burning but couldn't find it, so they called the fire department. The firemen discovered one of their breakers was overheating. That's it. That's all. Thankfully that was all.

But before we knew it all, especially when we just got the first news, I was thinking, did we blow out all the candles? I didn't turn the dryer on, did I? I left the Christmas tree lights on, but I was only gonna be gone an hour, and they were all knew, the cords couldn't have frayed or anything. Did something fall on one of the electric heaters? I was glad to know it wasnt any of those. Although I DID get an earful from mom, cause she saw I left the Christmas lights on...like ALCMDPP said, no matter how old you are, she'll always be your mom.

When i got home here about 5:15, all the trucks were gone, the excitement was over. If my aunt hadn't gone by, or the neighbor hadn't said anything to mom, I'd never have known anything even happened.

So that relaxing day spent alone watching TV....yeah, not so much.

POLT Listening to the 49ers-Eagles football game

One experience is worth ten titles.

6 comments:

john said...

Thankfully that excitement was all you had to deal with! I had visions of flaming Christmas trees and all sorts of damage.

Michelle M. said...

What a scare. Glad your house was okay!

Craig said...

Exciting! Glad everything is okay!

Anonymous said...

Always good to have your first scare.

What worries me more though is that for a breaker to get hot enough to emit plastic fumes, it should be drawing enough current to trip the breaker.

At the very least the breaker should be replaced.

Polt said...

truthspew: yeah, that worried me as well. Luckily I've seen an electrician's truck out front and heard someone trapsing loudly back and forth across their front porch, so I assume they've got someone looking at it right now.

HUGS...

TwoPi said...

Is this related to the electrical work you had done in August prior to closing? Whatever issues your half of the building had then might still be unresolved in the other half. (Or [ugh] vice versa?)