Sunday, August 30, 2015

Our house, in the middle of the street, our house.....

It's kinda hard to believe that in less than 24 hours, the place I grew up, my home (I own a house, but mom's house was always my home), will no longer be my home.  I will no longer be able to just walk up there, unlock the door and go in.

In less than 24 hours, mom goes to settlement.

I'm doing, though, much better with this than I thought I would be.  I thought I would be having all sorts of issues with selling the house.  (And if you're wondering why this is such a big deal to me, remember, that's the ONLY house my parents have lived in since before I was born.  It's where I spent the majority of my life. And I have, in fact, only lived in three places, all within a five minues walk of each other, all my life.  I am not, nor am I from a family, that moves around a lot.  We put down roots and stay there.  But I digress...) But several things have happened.

First, I've had PLENTY of time to get used to the idea it's going to happen. It's not like I find out Friday the house is going to be sold the following Monday.  I've had time to adapt to the idea.

Second, mom is selling it to a great family.  She's had several, probably almost ten, different times they've been in contact, most of them in person, so she's gotten to know them.  They seem to be a great family, and will take care of the house.  And maybe their little four year old girl, Eva, will have 40 plus years of great memories of the house like I have of it.  I'm glad mom's not selling it to some guy who's gonna make it into two apartments, and rent it out to people who are going to punch holes in the walls, and let their cars piss anywhere, and no have anyone take care of it and have it fall into disrepair.

And Thirdly, and I think most importantly, mom has moved on to something else.  It's not as if she's dead or in a coma and the story has ended.  She's, as they say, started another chapter, in the cottage.  There's somewhere else now to make memories at.  If she had just died and I had to just sell the house and there was nothing else (especially if she had died suddenly [see the First point]) then I'm certainly I'd be having a much harder time with this.

I'm going to settlement with her tomorrow.  She called me today and asked if I had any tears yet.  I told her no, and asked if she had any.  She said, no, but probably some tomorrow.  She said it's when someone dies, you need a few days afterwards to fully deal with it.  She'll need a few days after the sale is final.  And that makes sense.  Spending 48 years in one place isn't something that you just get over with a snap of your fingers.

At any rate, earlier this afternoon, I went by the house with my camera and took the following video.  Something to remember the old girl by.  I haven't viewed since I took it, and I did no editing, so who know what kind of mistakes are in it.  But if you ever wondered what the Original Casa de Polt looked like, take a gander at this below.



POLT

No comments: