Sunday, June 21, 2015

Evil is ruling over my existence.....

I know no one asked, but here's my take on the upcoming Supreme Court decisions.  (I am ashamed to admit I don't know the actual cases involved, just what each case is about.  And yeah, I COULD Google them, but we all know how lazy I am, so I'm gonna bother to do that either.  It's my blog, deal with it).

The same-sex marriage nationwide case.  This one I think is gonna be ruled that states cannot deny marriage to same sex couples.  This will overturn all the state bans on gay couples marrying and cause a few Conservative heads to explode.  Both of these are good things.  My guess is the ruling will be 5-4, will the four Liberal judges joined by Justice Kennedy.  I still hold out hope that Chief Justice Roberts may join them as well, but I'm not at all sure.  And the other three Justices are all lost causes on this issue.

I think that will be the result due to the similar case decided for same sex marriage just a few years ago.    I suppose one of those five (Kennedy's probably the only one) could be okay with the Federal Government not discriminating against gay marriage, but NOT be okay with making the states follow the same rules.  But I highly doubt it.

The other big case being announced soon is the Obamacare decision.  This one I am MUCH less confident about.  The previous Obamacare case was decided by 5-4, with Roberts siding with the 4 Liberals.  I have a hard time believing he'd go along with the first one, then turn around an guy Obamacare based on four words in the law taken entirely out of context.  But who knows what kind of political pressure he's under?  During the questioning period, I read some things that made me think Kennedy may be on the right side as well, but he also said some things that seemed to indicate he was going to go against it again.

In world that made sense, the ruling would be 6-3, with both Roberts and Kennedy joining the four (as stated above, the other three are total lost causes).  But I'd be happy with a 5-4 decision.  Of course, I still think it's entirely possible it could go 5-4 against Obamacare, but because of all the confusion that would cause and how, frankly, evil and immoral it wold be to yank affordable healthcare away from 12 million Americans once they have it, I sincerely hope this is NOT the case.

SO, to summarize: My predictions: Gay Marriage 5-4 FOR.  Obamacare, it'll be 5-4, but 50/50 whether it's FOR or AGAINST.

POLT

No comments: