Friday, July 31, 2009

Quietly friends are reunited, singing a song of long ago...

You may have read HERE, about my abortive attempt to visit Tam and her daughter in DC and show them the sights. Yeah, bummer. But today, Tam was driving from Baltimore towards Pittsburgh, and would be passing about 5 miles from my workplace. And as she said in her email, "I'm NOT going to be within 5 miles of you and not get at least a hug!"

So, we agreed she'd meet me at work, coincidentially right as I got off work, we'd catch something to eat, and then I'd treat her and her daughter to a tour of my workplace, seeing as how neither of them had ever been inside a jail before (although really, I don't know WHO Tam thinks she's trying to fool...but I digress...)

So, despite another attempt by the traffic gods to thwart us by throwing jams in her way, Tam did indeed make it to my workplace very shortly after 4:00. Following a hug for Tam, and a handshake for Kristen, we piled in Miss Cleo, decided on steaks and I drove us the Texas Roadhouse.

We had a delicious meal (once Tam sent her first steak back and got a second one that actually was truly well-done), stimulating conversation, and a fun time, which is what I've come to expect from Tam. Kristen, while somewhat quiet (perhaps she was shy, or perhaps it was just because she didn't know me from Adam...her mom knows all about me, she knew (I presume) very little) was still funny....especially with the loud eye rolls.

Following the meal and a return trip through beautiful downtown Hagerstown, we got back to where we started and I commenced the in depth tour...while promptly ended 15 minutes later, cause really, there ain't much to see. Although they DID get the thrill of being scanned with a hand scanner before they were allowed inside, and got to meet a few officers...although now that I think about it I never did introduce them...they missed out on the strip search room cause that room was being used. And they actually got to see real live and in person inmates...through tinted glass, standing 5 feet above then and several yards away in the control center. Still, I think they had an informative, if not enjoyable, tour.

Then, once I confirmed their route on the Google map they had, and got a goodbye hug from Tam, they were off and on their way to West Virginia for the night.

And I did manage to remember a photo...


But only after we split did I realize I hadn't gotten any of Kristen. Silly old man. At any rate in this photo, right to left, you have Miss Cleo, Tam, Me, and the vehicle I've christened the Tammobile, just cause I can.

Tam did mentioned that she hoped we were going to see each other every three months from now on, since we've now see each other the end of April and the end of July. I don't believe that's very practical or likely to happen, but truthfully, nothing would please me more.

POLT Listening to "Pride And Joy" by Stevie Ray Vaughn

You've had more visitors than Disneyland! - Lindsey, Queer As Folk

6 comments:

Tam said...

Hey, we were close to inmates, they walked right by us. :-) And I swear to god those guys could see us through that window. They looked right at us. I should have waved to see if they'd wave back.

Kristen is pretty quiet around new people but she now has a cool story to tell her friends about visiting a jail. What moae could a teen girl want?

So glad I got to see you finally.

TwoPi said...

Heather and I are looking forward to meeting Tam and Kristen tomorrow when they visit in the Tammobile.

Thanks a lot Polt -- how can we possibly compete with a visit to the jail?

I guess we can try to wow them with food: homemade tortillas and tamales, and apple pie (with Heather's amazing & flawless vodka-based crust).

Tam said...

Mmmmmm. Pie. :-D

Xi_Heather said...

Polt, you work in a jail??? How did I not know this?

Michelle M. said...

Vodka baked crust!!! Sign me up!

Glad you two (well, 3 with Kristen) go together : ).

Polt said...

If the pie's even half as awesome as the purple polt cookies, it's gonna be AWESOME!!!

And I never actually ever SAID I worked in a jail before now...I'm sneaky that way.

Have fun with the girls, Heather And TwoPI!!!!!

HUGS...