Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cming home to your house, i'm coming home...

After work today, we had it lined up for the realtor to show up (me and Mama Polt) 5 houses. On my home, though, I decided I didn't want to see one. It was a duplex, and 20 years ago, I dated a girl (oh stop!) who lived on the one side with her family, and the other side is what we were going to look at. I wasn't really impressed with her side, and knowing the other side would be similar, I just decided I didn't want to see it.

The realtor told us that one of the others needed a LOT of work done to the inside, which we all knew was NOT something I wanted. And one of the others was pulled off the market by the owners because they didn't get the house they were going to move into.

So that left us with two houses to see. After seeing them both, I decided to make an offer on one of them. It's the exact asking price as the other house I made an offer on. On the downside, this is a duplex, and I have to share an off-street parking space with the family on the other side. On the upside, it's got all new appliances (including fridge, microwave, stove, dishwasher, some of which the first house i made an offer on didn't have), and it's got MUCH better, wider, not-so-dodgy stairs to the basement, as well as washer/dryer included (which the first house didn't). The bathroom's a bit narrow, but it's only gonna be me, so I can get through it without a problem. It's got built-in bookshelves (SWEET!), hardwood floors, a walkin closet in the master bedroom, a small balcony off another room, and electric heat, which can be expensive,but it's controlled from each room, so if it's cold and I'm not using two of the bedrooms, I can turn the heat down to like 50 and close those rooms off. It's got a partially stained glass window in the living room.

Basically, I like it more than the previous house. And the price is the same, without a roof that needs fixed and appliances included. Granted, it's a duplex, but it's a big old brick thing built in 1906, and I LOVE old houses, and even if I don't get along with my neighbors, oh who cares? IS there anyone in this world I can't get along with?

So we're gonna write the offer up Thursday, although the realtor is gonna call the listing agent tomorrow and let him know we'll be doing that. And it's NOT bank owned, so there's no like waiting a month for a response, and there's a possiblity we can negotiate and I can possibly get help from them and stuff.

I have a much more positive feeling about this house than the other one. But we'll see what happens! Keep your fingers, and all other appendages, crossed!

POLT Listening to "Pretty Piece Of Flesh" by One Inch Punch

"Are you still here, Basil?" "No, I went a few minutes ago dear, but I expect I'll be back shortly." - Basil, Fawlty Towers

5 comments:

john said...

That was fast! I hope this one works out for you!

Anonymous said...

It sounds very nice. I've lived in a couple of duplexes. It's not bad and I really didn't feel like I shared a wall with anyone.

Did you ask who is responsible for the outside upkeep of the place? That can be an issue with duplexes, but it can also be a sweet deal depending on the arrangements.

Michelle M. said...

Everything that can be crossed is - good luck!

Tam said...

Oh, good luck. It sounds great. I live in a townhouse (multi-duplex LOL) and I NEVER hear my neighbors on either side. So you might have a good wall in between and it will be like living solo. The walk-in closet sounds great and all new appliances (or fairly new) is a nice bonus. Let us know when you hear.

And I LOVE Basil Fawlty.

stratcat45 said...

Good luck! I grew up in a duplex (they were called double houses then)and I've never had an issue with it. I would of gladly bought one when we were buying, but hubby wanted a single house.