Sunday, July 19, 2009

In love's own palace, a palace of dreams...

Earlier today, I signed the contract with the house's current owner. It can not be bought out from under me now. I can still back out if the home inspection discovers something and she doesn't want to fix it. And it's conditional on my getting the money, which shouldn't be a problem. I'm meeting with the mortgage lady this week, the realtor is scheduling the home inspection for next Monday, and everything's still on track for final settlement August 31st or so.

I'll give my current landlord the 60 days notice August 1st. That means, after I get the house the beginning of September, I'll still have to pay rent here until the end of September. But thats okay. Mom and I have been talking and the plan is, assuming settlement is August 31st, for she and I to work on the floors first, putting something on them, they are the original hardwood floors after all. Once that's done, or perhaps at the same time, who knows, I'll start bringing boxes of stuff down. Like everytime someone wants to see the house, we'll carry a box or two down the alley to the house and I'll show them to it. Or I'll throw a couple boxes in my car and drop them off after work. Whatever. Then we'll do the moving of the big stuff one day near the end of September, and around the day, we'll get my family and friends together to move whatever junk remains in the apartment at once. This will be done before I leave the apartment so that I still have a day or two to get the empty apartment cleaned up.

But enough of that. I imagine some of you may be wondering what the place looks like. I don't have any photos of my own, but I stole the ones off the Internet.


This is the entire house.


This is the half of it that I bought.


The living room. What you can't see is on the large square window, at the top, is a partially stained glass window. Sweet.


The dining room. The stairs are off to the left.


The kitchen, with the one year old applances. Love the ice machine in the door of the fridge!


The master bedroom. Where the magic will happen. Lots and lots of magic.


The second bedroom. Not too keen on the wall paneling, but whatever. This room will be the library, houses tons and tons of comic books.


And finally, the attic, that's been made into a fourth bedroom. I'll just it for storage, though. And there are not photos of the third bedroom.

And that's it. It's still weird to think last week this time, I hadn't even seen this house, and two months ago, I hadn't even had a serious thought of owning a home. funny how things work. But that's gonna be THE Casa De Polt! Polt's Palace indeed.

POLT Listening to "Atomic (Armand's Short Circuit Mix)" by Blondie

I think we are welcomed. But it was not a peaceful welcome. - George W. Bush

11 comments:

Virginia Rose Kane said...

It's a lovely place. Make it yours.

HUGS...

john said...

Looks Great Polt! It looks like a lot of house. The plan you outline is exactly what we did when we moved. It made things much easier. Our actual move of all the heavy stuff was done in like an hour and a half.

Mike said...

Looks fantastic! I love the wood floors. Which walls are being painted purple?

Anonymous said...

Wow what a nice home. That would go for $240,00 here in Eugene. You got a great deal. Have fun moving (I hate it)

Onanite

Anonymous said...

I like that the master bedroom has purple walls. How appropriate for you. Will you leave them alone or paint them?

Tear down the panelling and paint. It only takes a couple hours to prep and paint a room. It's one of the cheapest and best improvements you can make.

That flooring is awesome! I love hardwood floors.

Michelle M. said...

How exciting! I hope everything goes according to plan - here's wishing you lots and lots of magic!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice place. Good luck with it and congrats on your first home purchase. Now you become a slave to the mortgage.

But recall what I said, accelerate the mortgage. Pay an extra $100 a month and drop your whole tax refund on it every year. It'll be paid off in around 12 to 15 years.

tornwordo said...

Congrats! Wow, things change fast. I was only gone a couple of weeks!

stratcat45 said...

Very nice. We painted over the paneling in our house - didn't want to take the chance that the walls behind it needed more work than we could afford. The room was small and had the dark paneling, we painted it white and it really opened up the room.

hoteltuesday said...

Hurray! Congrats.
If I lived there, I'd want the attic room. I always liked when basements/attics became bedrooms.

Craig said...

Wow! Looks great! Good luck!