Thursday, April 05, 2007

I found it hard it's hard to find...

Thirteen years ago today, Kurt Cobain shot himself. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news, I was on my way to work, in 87 blue Camaro I had. I was listening to 98Rock out of Baltimore, and thought it was a joke. I could not believe it. He was only 9 months and 5 days older than I was. And he was inspirational to me.



I suppose if you're younger or older than me by a few years, you won't be able to understand that, but most people between 36-42 should. Prior to Nirvana, I was listening to a classic rock station, cause only stuff from the 70's, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, The Who, The Stones, they were all that was worth listening to. In 1991, the only thing on the radio was rap, sap, crap and heavy metal, none of which interested me.

And then, in September of that year, I was laying on my bed reading "Aliens", I had the radio on, not really listening to much of anything, just as kinda background noise, and I heard this song start, with a great guitar riff. And the whole song just rocked! I remember thinking, "Man, that is a song I could really get into." I didn't hear who the artist or song was, but a few days later, I heard it again, and this time I heard them say it was Nirvana.

And practically overnight, the music business changed. Alternative became mainstream and music that I could listen to, music that spoke to me was all over the radio. Yeah, there were some bands before this: early R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails and such, but Nirvana and Smells Like Teen Spirit was what broke it all open. How refreshing it was.

And thirty months later, Kurt was dead and Nirvana was no more. Oh, Alternative music kept on, for a good portion of the 90's, but Nirvana was what started it all for me. I was shocked. Maybe this is what people a few years older than me felt when Lennon was shot in NY. Perhaps it's what my parents felt when Kennedy was shot, I don't know. but I know I was disturbed and upset all day that day.

What would Kurt Cobain be like as a 40 year old? Who knows, his time here on earth was way too short. but I'm just glad he was here long enough to do what he did.

POLT Oil:63.94 (-.44); Gas: 2.69 (-)

You're the bright fellow who named a quartet the Fearsome Five, then? - Luthor, Villains United #5

No comments: