Saturday, April 07, 2007

I'm committed, I'm outsmarted, I'm outwitted...

yeah, I outsmarted myself this week.

Last week, when Freddie and I went to Borders, I got the movie Shortbus. It was like 24 bucks, which is more than I usually pay for DVD's, but I had my Borders Reward Day (or whatever they call it) available to me, so I used that and got 10% off. With my receipt, I also recieved a coupon for 30% any one item this weekend.

So I made a plan and thursday, i returned Shortbus to the store, and got store credit. After I had done this, i realized I hadn't told them that I had used my discount, so they gave me more money back than i should have gotten. but I figured, "Oh what the hell, everything's over priced at Borders anyway, ya know?" I figured I'd just go in, get Shortbus today, and a magazine, use the credit and then pay whatever was left over.

And this is where the self-outsmarting comes in. When i got to the store today after work....no Shortbus. It wasn't on the shelf. Either someone else had bought it, or it hadn't made its way back to the shelf yet. But the point was, I had to use the 30% thing today, cause there's no way I was gonna get to the store tomorrow. So I got a magazine, and this...



Which is still pretty cool, to the comic book geek inside me, but really just is NOT Shortbus. Ah well, I can get Shortbus later.

And just some Borders observations:

1) the number of cute guys working there today was seriously below any other time I have been there!
2) the number of hot customers is about what I expected, which means even though I did plenty of head turns, I didn't actually walk into anything or anyone.
3) there's a little girl that works there now that sounds something like Elmer Fudd. I'm certain she's very sweet and all, but honestly, it took everything I had to keep from laughing when I heard her.
4) Considering it's Hagerstown Maryland, redneck central for the state of Maryland, the store has a surprisingly extensive collection of gay magazines.
5) I had to take time to adjust some of the books in the political section, ensuring that the conservative right wing-nut books were NOT faced out, while more of the liberal, left wing, sensible books were faced out, thus drawing more attention. Honestly, I do this EVERY time I'm in Borders. ANY Borders.
6) they didn't have Shortbus, Another Gay Movie, or Eating Out. Disappointment abounds.

POLT

Enron, Halliburton! No WMD's in Iraq! With all these going on, what is Congress most concerned about? That's right, baseball! - Jon Stewart

No comments: